Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 aw9018

aw9018

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:38 AM

This is an 8yr old Dell Dimension4100 with XP home upgraded from 2000ME 3yrs ago. After logging on and opening IE the computer shut down and began to restart. 1st:a black screen with Nvidia info, 2nd: screen with Dell logo, 3rd: Black screen:"We apologize for inconvenience windows did not start...." This screen has a timer saying windows is restarting in_ seconds and when it hits 0 the same thing happens. This screen also has safe mode and other mode options but I tried safe mode and the same thing happened. During the cycle I also tried pressing F8 which got me the windows advanced options menu. From there "start windows normally, safe mode and reboot" all brought the same result. If left alone the timer wil keep going to 0 and the cycle cintinues. In the past 6 months a second slave HD and a new video card have been installed. One day before this happened I installed 1 new program:"Mobile Phone tools" to move sound and photos between the PC and a Motorola cell phone via USB. There are some documents on the main HD I'd rather not lose and lots of photos on the main HD, almost all of which have been copied onto the slave. Also there is a good bit of music on the slave I'd also like to save.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ellypho

Ellypho

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hello aw9018

I can't really help you with you're problem however if you ever need to reinstall windows you can first retrieve your data with a linux live Cd the two best (in my opinion) for this task would be Ubuntu or Knoppix from there you can copy you're data onto a pen drive or external drive.

Good luck!
Ellypho
CompTIA A+ certified

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

What error messages in Event Viewer that might give clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Do you have a MS XP CD?

If so...put it into your optical drive and select the option to repair an existing Windows install. Follow all prompts. When prompted for Windows selection, type the number 1, hit Enter. For the password prompt, just hit enter.

Then type chkdsk /r, hit Enter. Let it run to completion.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 July 2008 - 04:22 PM.

#4 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

Since original post I disabled the automatic restart because a flash of blue caught my eye after the XP screen. This allowed me to see the BSOD which says: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
IF THIS IS THE FIRST TIME...CHECK TO MAKE SURE ANY HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE...IF PROBLEMS CONTINUE DISABLE OR REMOVE...DISABLE BIOS MEMORY OPTIONS SUCH AS...
TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP: 0x000000ED(0x82B9BA68,0xC0000006,0x00000000, 0x00000000)
I do have the XP CD, inserted it nothing happened even when turning off and on the computer.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

You may need to change the boot order in your BIOS to enable booting from a CD. Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

Won't go into safe mode and I forgot how to change the boot order. Did it before but just forgot how.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

Reboot the computer and watch the screen during the boot process. When the Dell logo comes up it there should be a notice telling you what key to press to "enter setup" (probably the Delete key). Press that key. Then use the arrow keys on the keyboard to navigate around in the BIOS to the "Boot" section and change the boot order so the CD-ROM drive is first. Then exit the BIOS, being sure to save changes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

It never Welcome to Setup. It went from Windows Setup at the top and loading files at the bottom to setup is starting windows at the bottom of the screen, to another BSOD. Pressing R had no effect. The new BSOD says :SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED...TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
***STOP:0x0000006F (0x0000020, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

I would try running a diagnostic on the hard drive to make sure it's okay. Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download their diagnostic test to test your drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

I can't download anything on this computer in it's current condition. I do have another one in the house running Vista, though. Can something be put on a disk from that computer and inserted in the disabled PC? I appreciate your help a great deal. But for now I unfortunately have to go out for the evening. I would appreciate your next reply, which I will act on later on tonight or in the morning(I'm on the east coast). Hopefully you will be kind enough to stick with me. Thanks again.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:57 PM

The diagnostic you download should be an .iso that you can burn to a CD. Then boot the problem computer with this CD and run the test.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

You can also run chkdsk /r on that drive from your other system...once you connect it as a secondary drive to the other system.

I have two computers and do this all the time if I have a problem booting one of the drives.

Louis

#13 aw9018

aw9018
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:15 PM

The HD is a WD400BB (Western Digital). From their site I chose Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD), downloaded it and burned onto a CD. It is a .iso. I couldn't get the disabled PC to boot from it, though. It didn't seem to recognize it. When I tried to boot it from the XP installation CD the PC said press any key to boot from CD. With the burned CD in it just tried to start windows. Do you think its a high probability that the HD is dead or near dead so that if I replace it and installed windows on the new one the PC should function fine and then I could just focus on salvaging files on the old HD, such as by putting it in a USB enclosure? Or is there still a good chance that another component is the problem making HD replacement a waste?

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

How did you burn the .iso to the CD?

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

To make the ISO bootable, I believe that you need to use a program like Iso Burner.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users