Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Recovering From Serious Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 crotty

crotty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:25 AM

User had called and said the monitor display was really hard to read - I looked at the setting and it was set to 800x600 and at 4 bit. I tried to do a windows update, failed, I rebooted, the display came back ok. I cleaned out tempory files, ect. The computer kept getting an error msg that it was recovering from a serious error... So I installed Adaware and Spybot - I could install but I could not run - both errored out. I reimaged the computer - same issues -during this entire time the pc would reboot about every 10 minutes or so.. I have booted in safe mode and tried to run programs virus programs, no luck. I uninstalled our virus software - symantec (had to do in safe mode) - reinstalled... It does not find a virus. I ran scf /scannow - that fails.. I found a program called combofix and I ran that - Now I would like to send that log to you to read it....

Any suggestions...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

When the computer reboots do you get a blue screen error message?

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users