Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something Wrong With My Ide Cable

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chris3

chris3

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:53 AM

Whenever i start up my PC i get this message after a POST has been completed.
Secondary IDE channel no 80 conductor cable installed.
CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded.
I went in to the BIOS and found the date and time had changed to january 2003 and time 00:00.
I had a look inside the machine and everything looks fine.
can some help because i've never heard of this problem before.
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

Hi chris.
Normally I don't recommend replacing parts right off the bat but in your case it's ridiculously cheap.
Replace the cmos battery for the date problem and make sure the device on the secondary IDE is correctly listed in the bios.
In some cases, resetting defaults isn't always correct. If you still get the cable error afterwards, replace it.

#3 chris3

chris3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

The device on the secondary ide is my dvd rewriter. I've ordered a new CMOS battery. What size pin is the IDE cable that i need, is it the 80 pin one?
I have also found a Malware on my PC, I did a scan with ad-aware and removed the Malware, it was the Ares Installer 2.09.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

Actually...all IDE cables are 40-pin...but newer (last 5 years or so) cables have 80-pin connectors.

Unless you are using really old cables, the 40/80 thing should not be a problem.

If you are using older cables, newer ones don't cost much...and allow for better air circulation in the case.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...411|&Sort=4

Louis

#5 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

Try replacing the IDE cable and see if that solves your problem. The 80pin IDEs are meant to be used for the IDE hard-drives. The 40pin IDEs are meant to be used for cd-roms and dvd-drives.

#6 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

I had a similar problem. only mine was a primary cable. I was told this is a rare occurance but the cables do go bad from time to time. Do you have more than 2 Hard drives? If so it my be referring to your cable connecting the other drive/s separate from the boot drive. If you only have one hard drive and use the same cable to connect to your dvd writer and Hard drive. You have to replace that cable.

Actually...all IDE cables are 40-pin...but newer (last 5 years or so) cables have 80-pin connectors.

The way it was explained to me is that the 40 and 80 conductor cable both have 40 pins. Its not the pins they are counting its the wires in the ribbon. If you compare them, a 40 wire is more course than an 80 wire cable.

Edited by Necrotic Freak, 18 August 2008 - 07:07 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

You are right...that's what I meant (but I was lazy in my thinking)...thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:.

Louis

#8 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 19 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

No problem I had a hard time trying to explain it to a salesman at my local PC shop that I need an 80. I brought him an 80 but argued that it only had 40 pins. He actually had to open a 40 for me to understand what he was talking about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users