Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Computer Needs To Warm-up - Literally!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:41 AM

Heya :thumbsup:

Just received an old desktop computer, over 5 years old, runs alright after a clean install of XP but looking at putting Ubuntu on instead :flowers:

Specs:

Intel 800Mhz P3 CPU (Over clocking it even in small amounts causes complete halt during boot-up (on any OS)
20Gb HDD
256Mb SDRAM
XP and Linux Mint

You would gather it isn't the best - can't run AVG without a minor lag so I use COMODO with Defense + - Going to put Spybot on and use AVG as on demand.

Basically the problem I am experiencing is that as soon as I switch on the power outlet and press the "On' button, my PC seems to turn on - well the fan and PSU definitely does but not much else. Can't open the CD tray either. After waiting atleats 5 minutes, the PC now leaves this mode and boots up for a few seconds then goes back into the previous mode then after another few seconds it boots up like normal.

I suspect it could be a PSU issue or possibly a HDD issue - I was wondering if there is something that can aid this situation without purchasing and replacing parts as I don't want to waste any money on this old system.

Anyone know what the issue is?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hi david.
Can you get in the bios setup on this system?
If you can, check the parameters against the installed HW. Disable boot virus scan and any network adapters while you're in there. If the HD is not the first bootable device listed, change it so it is. Could just be having trouble identifying hardware before windows loads.

#3 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:14 PM

Thanks HitSquad - will check back as soon as I get home.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:45 AM

If you can, check the parameters against the installed HW.

You stumped me there :thumbsup:

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:14 AM

Make sure what's listed in the bios setup menu actually matches the HW in the system. :thumbsup:
I had the issue with an old dimension desktop. The cdrom was sharing the cable with the HD on IDE 1.
Put it on a seperate IDE cable, set it as master on IDE2. Problem solved. In other words, you're going to want to get inside the computer and check it out. I'd start with the bootable devices first. (i.e HD, cdrom, floppy)

Edited by HitSquad, 25 July 2008 - 07:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users