Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plans For My First Build

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:10 AM

I'm planning my first PC build. I've been actively searching for powerful yet affordable components via newegg for the past year and a half now. My objective is to have a powerful build at an affordable price. My financial goal is to not exceed $850-$875 in component costs (excluding other necessities, such as moniters, external HDDs, etc). I currently sit at a comfortable $734.92 ($770.23 after shipping).

I would like for anyone who is interested to take a look at my current build, and search for inconsistencies, incompatibility, straight-up wrongness, etc.

Any comments, rants, advice, criticism, etc., will be most appreciated.

[moron, you forgot to toss in the wishlist...]

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=4791366

(P.S., ignore the notes I have in there. I call myself tossing those in for when my mother looks at it. With my very limited knowledge of PCs, it's probably just mindless poppycock anyway.)

Edited by mikerox, 25 July 2008 - 12:06 AM.

A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:45 AM

The link that you have posted is for your sign in, please sign in and open the page with your wish list and then post the link to that page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:24 AM

I would consider more memory. Your MB supports 8gb. I would at least go for 4gb. You should still come in under your budget.

I finished my first build recently for less than $300. Just the basics no extras. So far it has worked flawlessly.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Jim

#4 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

Okay, I've got it set as a Public Wishlist. Try the new link:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=4791366

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:04 AM

Let's take a look....

You don't need a soundcard since the motherboard has on-board audio. However, the inclusion of a soundcard is a good idea if you listen to a great deal of audio and want it to sound top notch. Your motherboard can also support up to 8 GB of RAM. If you want to use 4 GB or more of memory you will need to get a 64-bit operating system. Also, for about $10 or so more, you can get a newer GeForce 9800 GTX card, more powerful than the one you selected. Just my two cents....

3939.png

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:20 AM

You haven't listed a PSU, that EVGA card will require at least a 400W PSU, 450W if you decide to go with SLI.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

You haven't listed a PSU, that EVGA card will require at least a 400W PSU, 450W if you decide to go with SLI.

Alright. PSU wise, I've chosen the SILVERSTONE ST50F. This will be sufficient, right?

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:41 PM

That looks like a good power supply. Silverstone is a pretty good brand from what I hear.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

You know what, I just realized that there's one more thing missing. I forgot a CPU fan. Will this one work fine with the Wolfdale CPU, as I may desire to try overclocking sometime in the future?

Edited by mikerox, 28 July 2008 - 05:24 PM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:07 PM

That's a good CPU fan, so is an Arctic Freezer fan. Just remember that it is quite large and needs a great deal of room in the case.

3939.png

#11 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:04 PM

That's a good CPU fan, so is an Arctic Freezer fan. Just remember that it is quite large and needs a great deal of room in the case.

One of the personal failures of Newegg: They don't always provide the dimension specs for some of their parts, such as graphics cards and (gasp!) CPU Fans.

The dimensions of this CPU Fan are 85 x 112 x 125mm 5 x 4.5 x 3.5in (Placed in H x W x D...for whatever reason, Newegg had the millimeter stats for the CPU fan backwards, in that regard at least.) The case dimensions are 21.3"(H) x 8.1"(W) x 19.9"(D).

From the looks of it, this CPU fan would more than fit into the case, though an expert opinion obviously wouldn't hurt.
Also, I just learned of a software by Intel that allows for one to Overclock their components and mobo straight from the Operating System. I found out about while watching this youtube vid. Firstly, would you recommend investing in this software, and secondly, will the current mobo that I have set to build support it? I ask the second question because it seems that only certain Intel motherboards are supported by this software...

One final thing. I've heard constantly that x32 bit OS's don't recognize but up to 3.5 Gigs of RAM. I plan to be using a x64 bit version of Microsoft XP Professional that I downloaded from my school website (I was truly blessed by the fact that the .iso image was free). Will this OS be able to support over 3.5 Gigs, or is this strictly for the x64 bit version(s) of Windows Vista?

As always, thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by mikerox, 28 July 2008 - 11:26 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:33 AM

In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result in different total memory size. e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

Credit must go to this site.

A 64-bit Window operating system will support up to 16TB.

Do you have a legal product code for the OS that you downloaded?

The Core two duo comes with a fan and heat sink from Newegg.

Edited by dc3, 29 July 2008 - 03:50 AM.

#13 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:32 AM

Well this is convenient. I ended up accidentally deleting this document that I had created in order to record such important information. I had a wealth of codes on that darned thing too! It's great that I don't need an additional heatsink - save a few dollars - but it looks like that savings may end up paying for part of the OS purchase...

Is there a way that I can recover the file? I hear that files deleted from the "Recycle Bin" are never completely removed...

Edited by mikerox, 29 July 2008 - 11:33 AM.

#14 mikerox

mikerox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:33 PM

Well this is convenient. I ended up accidentally deleting this document that I had created in order to record such important information. I had a wealth of codes on that darned thing too! It's great that I don't need an additional heatsink - save a few dollars - but it looks like that savings may end up paying for part of the OS purchase...

Is there a way that I can recover the file? I hear that files deleted from the "Recycle Bin" are never completely removed...

Sorry for bumping up a dead topic (can't seem to edit my post anymore), but the problem regarding the lost passcode is solved. Anywho, I'd like to thank y'all for your assistance. If I come up with complications when I finally start building this thing in the future, I'll definately know where to head to. Again, thanks. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users