Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finding The Antivirus On Your Pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dmitriy

Dmitriy

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:55 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone could help me out with a little problem I'm having. I've been using trial anti-virus programs for a while now and want to switch over to AVG so I won't have to find other trials. Upon installation, it tells me to uninstall any other AV programs I have on my computer which I'm certain I do not have. When going on Windows Security Center, it tells me what that my AV is either off or outdated and that I have more than one of them. Is there any way I could find the other pesky AV programs before going on to install AVG because I've ignored the warning before and it results in my PC starting up really slowly and often freezing to the point where I have to pull the plug.

Thanks in Advance
-Dmitriy :thumbsup:

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:00 AM

Go Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. That will bring up a list of all the programs installed on your computer. Search through the list to find any anti-virus programs. Click on any that you find and then click the Remove button on the right.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Dmitriy

Dmitriy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

Trend Micro Internet Security shows up but all it says is that it is used rarely. It does not give me the option of removing it. Any suggestions?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:11 AM

Normally right below where it says Used: Rarely there should be a button that says Remove or Change/Remove.

Does Trend Micro Internet Security show up under Start > All Programs?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Dmitriy

Dmitriy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:17 AM

Well I was hoping I could just remove it but unfortunately it gives me no other option. It cannot be found in All Programs either.

#6 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:41 AM

If it is not showing in All Programs then go My Computer > Local Disc C usually > Program Files and delete the Trend Micro folder from there.

You should also open hidden files and folders by doing the following. On the Program Files window click on Tools > Folder Options > View > Click on Show Hidden Files and Folders then uncheck Protected Operating System Files > Apply > OK.

Once you have done this then open Documents and Settings and then for each user open Application Data and delete any Trend Micro folders found.

Once finished reverse the procedure to make the Hidden Files and Folders etc invisible again.

Once the above steps are complete go to Start > Search > Advanced > check search in hidden files and folders and do a search for Trend Micro and delete any results.

Edited by bluesjunior, 24 July 2008 - 08:42 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

There is a removal program in the Trend directory (usually in C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\...\ directory). As I recall it's called PCCTool.exe - just double click on it and follow the prompts.

There's also a way to do it from the command prompt, but this will depend on the exact version of Internet Security that you have installed.

Here's an example for Internet Security 2005:

From the Run command window

1. Click Start > Run.

2. Type "msiexec /x {7698EDA5-A90F-4205-99CB-8FF6F9048ED9}" in the Open field.

3. Click OK > Yes

Edited by usasma, 24 July 2008 - 11:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Dmitriy

Dmitriy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:10 PM

I did a search with the term "trend micro" on my computer and I got these results.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p102/Dm.../TrendMicro.jpg

I'm not sure which of these I should be deleting.

Edited by Dmitriy, 25 July 2008 - 10:10 PM.

#9 Dmitriy

Dmitriy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

CAn anyone here help me out?

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 27 July 2008 - 03:42 PM

The last 3...
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users