Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suspect Ex Has Installed Spyware On My Desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MalAdjusted

MalAdjusted

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:39 PM

Ok, this might be a bit paranoid, but I was bumped off AOL by someone using my account from another location immediately after he sent three hate mails. Since I've recently changed my password and our relationship ended last October due to his ever more erratic behavior, I'm thinking he must have installed a keylogger or some sort of program on my desktop before I left. No one knew my password (which I immediately changed again), and it was a pretty complex and unguessable one. I'm writing this from my laptop, which I'm assuming is clean, since he had no access to it. But just to be on the safe side, I'd like suggestions and any personal experience with making absolute sure my systems aren't compromised.

Thanks for any help,
Ronda
Blessed are the curious, for they shall have many adventures! - Lovelle Drachman

Only the curious will learn and only the resolute overcome the obstacles to learning - Eugene Wilson

I make a difference. What do you make? - Taylor Mali

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:30 AM

The best way to ensure that your computer is clean is to post a request in the HijackThis log forum.

Click here to download HijackThis.
Save HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
Double click on the HJTInstall.exe icon to start the program.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis
After the final dialogue box it will launch HijackThis.

Click on the scan button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Save the log, and post it into the Hijacthis forum.

The members there are busy, so it may take a while for them to reply to you. Also, in the title, you could put something like "Quick little request to ensure my log is clean".

Good luck!

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users