Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some More Gibberish From The World Of Backup Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:05 PM

If you're not supposed to backup your Local Disc hard drive with its contents and files in case of a crash - then what are you supposed to be backing up? 'My Documents' and 'Program Files' can be backed up to a CD in just a few moments with no need for special Backup software.

Posted Image

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:11 PM

If you want to back up your entire system drive you would be better off using a disk imaging utility such as Acronis True Image.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

If you want to back up your entire system drive you would be better off using a disk imaging utility such as Acronis True Image.

Okay, Budapest. I'll have another look at Acronis.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:38 PM

Okay, Budapest. I'll have another look at Acronis.

Just to let you know, I'm not endorsing that particular product. I gave it as an example only - I've never used it myself.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:15 PM

Budapest - thanks for prompting me to try Acronis True Image again. I think I've finally succeeded in getting it to work for me.

Even a scheduled daily incremental backup has worked this morning.

My only criticism is that like so many other software utilities, the interface is very poorly designed for the understanding of the novice. For instance, there is no 'Source' address-slot, and no 'Destination' address-slot. I kept typing in C:\ as the source - as the only commonsense thing to do, but it was the destination E:\ that they wanted. Their wording is totally misleading.

Thanks again, Budapest.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users