Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CalusBlade

CalusBlade

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

when I run it. Sometimes it doesn't go to step 3. Instead it ether deletes some kinda $150 file or sort something, etc. . .

Is this suppost to happen?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaidinB'ham

MaidinB'ham

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:34 PM

When you open box, under check disk options select either of the two choices, when you hit start it should open another box asking if you want to run chkdsk on reboot - say yes and it will run on restart. Chkdsk can not run when files applications are open - maybe this is why it is hanging?

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

If you go to Start, Run and type in chkdsk it will run and do something, I'm not sure what. But if you add a space /f or /r then you allow it to run on the next start up. It takes a while, I ran it on my computer today and it took over an hour. It looked like it was hung up but when I looked again in about 15 or 30 minutes, it had changed.. :thumbsup:

edit for typing.....

Edited by Wildabeast, 24 July 2008 - 12:07 AM.

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 MaidinB'ham

MaidinB'ham

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

Wildabeast, Hi
Not sure why it would take over an hour
I could be wrong, but I think if you keep your drive defragged regularly, chkdsk will scan a lot quicker. I use DK lite Version: 9.0.528.0 which is very fast and can work in the background
Good info about Start, Run - I always forget about using these quick and easy shortcuts

#5 CalusBlade

CalusBlade
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 538 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

I'm only running chkdsk, I'm not including the /r or /f in it.

#6 MaidinB'ham

MaidinB'ham

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 10:32 AM

when I run it. Sometimes it doesn't go to step 3. Instead it ether deletes some kinda $150 file or sort something, etc. . .

Is this suppost to happen?

I think you need to add more info and look for expert help
If it were me I would first run diagnostics on the HD - (find the manufacturer of your hard drive and go to their website and find diagnostic utilities for your drive) If hard drive checks out okay then I would start troubleshooting other possible cause/solutions of problem. Good luck

#7 rf6647

rf6647

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:36 AM

chkdsk with no switches makes no corrections

chkdsk /? list command switches

chkdsk /f repairs errors to file and directory structures. Appearance of "check files" indicates loss of data.

chkdsk /r same as /f & it runs suface scan of the HDD for unused blocks.

Chkdsk with switches specified runs on restart.

Results are presented in the > events viewer ! application ! winlogon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users