Posted 23 July 2008 - 04:41 PM
Late last year, my PSU got fried, and I went ahead and got a new CPU, mobo, and memory, since I was going to be tinkering with the box anyway. The original system was an HP Pavilion a605x. I had (and still have) dialup with AOL. On the original system, I could download files with no problems (aside from the obvious slowness due to the dialup connection) and I could open web pages while downloading.
Now, if I try to download almost anything, the download will abort early.
Example: I've been trying to download the 17.9 Mb Realtek AC 97 audio codec pack for Windows. I tried using FF 184.108.40.206 with the DownThemAll! download manager, and it stopped at around 2 Mb, giving me the "all downloads are complete" message. I tried in IE 7.0.5730.13, and it downloaded only 791 kb before quitting. I've also attempted using Star Downloader and Enterra Downloader, but I've yet to find a source that will allow those managers to download the file for me.
In addition to this, if I'm running a download and try to go to a webpage, the page won't load completely.
My current system uses the same OS as the old build (Windows XP Pro with SP 2).
Motherboard - MSI K9MM-V AM2 VIA K8M800 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO4000DDBOX
Memory - mushkin 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model 991527