Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates Using Up 100% Cpu

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

Hello.

Recently (a few weeks ago), a family member's computer that is used for work had svchost using up 100% of the CPU. Upon looking into svchost with Process Explorer, we found that it was Automatic Updates that was causing the problem. Disabling the service supressed the problem temporarily.

We later received an email for his company saying that many XP computers in the company were getting the same problem. They said to let the updates install, which resolved the problem.

I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problem. It's strange that it would be isolated to one company.

With Regards,
The Panda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

Strange, are they all the same make/model?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:13 PM

A while ago there was a problem with Windows Updates and the 100% svchost.exe utilization. If that's the case with these systems, then the updates should take care of it. BUT, each system is different (as it has different settings and programs installed), so it's best to take things on a step-by-step basis.

In other words, re-enable the Windows Updates and update all critical updates. Also check the optional updates to see if any of them may apply to this situation on your system.

If the problem persists after the updates, then there's more troubleshooting to be done.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Worth reading: http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svcho...pu-memory-leak/

Louis

#5 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:57 AM

Hello.

Strange, are they all the same make/model?

Nope. But they would have similar programs installed and such.

Thanks for the input :thumbsup:. Anyway, this problem was fixed.

With Regards,
The Panda

#6 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:10 PM

I had this promblem and the only way I stopped it was disabling/end process it through Task Manager.
I tried Hamluis post and it worked out. The only program that actaully made it work was that batch file. The other two microsoft update failed for some reason...
At Least it worked. I looked at the Batch file but I wonder what that batch file does??

Thanks Hamluis :thumbsup:

Regards,
Extremeboy
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:44 AM

The batch file re-registers a bunch of files and flushes the contents of the Software Distribution folder. It's similar to some of the fixes in the freeware program Dial-A-Fix, but it was custom made for this particular problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:55 AM

Thanks Usasma for the explanation :thumbsup:
Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#9 fireman4it

fireman4it

Bleepin' Fireman

• Malware Response Team
  • 13,505 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 29 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

hi guys i had the same problem and i did what it say in the link below. bad thing i have to manually update. but after reviewing the topic above i think ill try it. if not i can always revet back to the link below.

http://ask-leo.com/c011472.html

" Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.

ALL OTHER HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
Thanks-

userbar_eis_500.gif

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware! Just click btn_donate_LG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users