Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions About Using Opendns Instead Of Earthlink Dns

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

I have Earthlink dial-up and have always just used the two DNS addresses that automatically come with that (and had added them to the Trusted Zone in ZoneAlarm). But with the recent scare about DNS spoofing and the problematic KB951748 MS update, I switched to OpenDNS (especially since when I did the "DNS checker" here: http://www.doxpara.com/ -- using the Earthlink ones, it said "Your name server, at 209.179.23.211, appears vulnerable to DNS Cache Poisoning. All requests came from the following source port: 44524").

I uninstalled my ZA 6.5.737 which would not work with KB951748 and installed ZA 6.1.x instead -- and my internet is working fine. I added the two OpenDNS address to my TCP/IP properties for my dial-up, as well as to the Trusted Zone in ZA (removing the two Earthlink ones I originally had there).

Is there anything "unsafe" about using the OpenDNS instead of the "provided" Earthlink DNS addresses?

I was also wondering about the "advanced settings" and how they are set at present on my laptop. They are listed below. Can someone tell me if these are all as they should be or if they should be changed (and why)? Thanks! :thumbsup:

DIAL-UP:

"Advanced options" under the general tab current settings:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties --> General tab --> Advanced TCP/IP Settings -->

General tab (""Use default gateway on remote network" and "Use IP header compression" are both checked)

DNS tab ("Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes" and "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix" are both checked)

WINS tab ("Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked)

...just leave that all as is? Should all that stuff be checked? What should there be on each tab there, if anything?

WIRELESS MODEM WI-FI:

Also, what about when I use my wireless modem for free wi-fi at the library? Do I add in the OpenDNS servers the same way here:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties --> General tab

...as I would with my dial-up? Or just use whatever DNS servers they normally use? (I guess that's what happens, right?)

And what about under the advanced tab there? Here are my current settings there:

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties --> General tab --> Advanced TCP/IP Settings -->

IP Settings tab (says "DHCP Enabled")

DNS tab ("Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes", "Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix", and "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" are all checked -- should all those be checked? I'm especially wondering about the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" as that one is *not* checked for my dial-up but is checked here -- as far as I know, that was the default setting...?)

WINS tab ("Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" is checked)

Options tab ("TCP/IP filtering" is listed)

Anything to change or add here? Should all that stuff be checked? What should there be on each tab there, if anything?

Thanks again!

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users