Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Severe Packet Loss/packet Lag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beremat

Beremat

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:20 PM

Okay, so I've been using this router (Linksys WRT45G with Wireless-G) for almost a year now, and nothing as bad as this has ever happened.
Basically, I have about 4 devices wirelessly connected to it, with this computer connected to it by wire. All the wireless connections work flawlessly, but this connection seems to experience severe packet loss since yesterday evening. I know that it is not losing the packets after it travels from my home, because sometimes, when I click to open a link in Firefox, the modem AND router don't blink, as if there was no activity. This seems to happen in any program, including Firefox, IE, Opera, and even games like World of Warcraft. Latencies in online games climb to 2,000+ because of this. THis only started happening around 8:00PM yesterday evening.
Things that I have tried:
Disabling and then re-enabling the connection
Restarting the router and modem
Disabling firewall and even anti-virus
Scanning for viruses, which came up clean.

I can't think of anything else that might fix it, anyone have any idea of what's going on? :thumbsup:
This happens about every 10th link I click.

Edited by Beremat, 23 July 2008 - 01:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:57 PM

Okay, I have fixed the packet loss by updating the firmware.
But now, my modem seems to be dropping connections at will. Any ideas? This usually happens every minute or so.

#3 Beremat

Beremat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:14 PM

I have isolated the problem to my router.
Connecting to 192.168.2.1 (my router's IP on the network) via Firefox yields a 30 second wait before it asks me for the login. After that, the router's config page loads either very, very slowly (up to 5 minutes) or it cuts off about halfway through.
What the hell is going on?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users