Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Router/internet Speeds

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hello all, hope someone can help me with this. I have Optimum Online, and I also pay extra for the boost service, which is supposed to get me speeds of up to 30MBps download. I have 2 desktop pcs and 2 laptops that share the connection via a router. The router is rated at 54MBps. When I have my pc connected to the modem directly, I actually get anywhere from 28 - 34 MBps download speeds, which is fantastic. However, once I attach the router, that drops to below 10 MBps, even if I only have 1 pc connected (so as to not be sharing the signal). Why am I losing so much speed if my router is rater at 54MBps, which is more than my top speeds? Is there a router that I can use that will give me my full speed, or will there always be a loss regardless? Or is there some setting that I'm missing that should be changed? Or should I just buy a new router?

A little info about the computers (if it matters) and the router. Router is a Netgear WGR614v6. Desktop pcs are both Dells and are both running Windows XP SP2. Both laptops are Dells also, running Vista.

Thanks for any help in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users