Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Usb Adapter Don't Load Auntomatically At Start Up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gurung guni

gurung guni

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:39 AM

I have the Buffalo WLI-U2-KG54 wireless usb adapter. The only problem is that it won't work during startup. So after the system has booted, I need to plug out and plug in the adapter to gain connection.

Except for plugging out and plugging back in, everything appears to work fine. Has anyone else observed such behavior? Any idea how to fix this? I've tried my best to search these forums for a solution but I haven't been successful.

Edited by gurung guni, 23 July 2008 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:12 AM

When you first boot your computer and before you reset the adapter, open Device Manager by going to Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc -> OK
Click on the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points by the USB controllers
Reset the adapter and reopen Device Manager and see if it went away
It might be something as simple as uninstalling the USB controllers, rebooting and letting Windows re-detect them
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:15 AM

I'd like to know...what plug are you removing...and then reinserting?

<<...during startup.>>

No NIC works during startup...the drivers have to be loaded, the desktop must settle before the NIC/adapter is operative.

And...the firewall probably won't allow any Internet connection until it gives the "all clear", if your firewall is working properly.

Louis

#4 gurung guni

gurung guni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:37 AM

When you first boot your computer and before you reset the adapter, open Device Manager by going to Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc -> OK
Click on the +'s and look for yellow exclamation points by the USB controllers
Reset the adapter and reopen Device Manager and see if it went away
It might be something as simple as uninstalling the USB controllers, rebooting and letting Windows re-detect them

hi garmanma

there is no exclamation points. i guess hamluis could be right, maybe something to do with the firewall. i just downloaded the latest version zonealarm free, the auto-connection at start up used to work fine with the old zonealarm.

#5 gurung guni

gurung guni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:41 AM

I'd like to know...what plug are you removing...and then reinserting?

<<...during startup.>>

No NIC works during startup...the drivers have to be loaded, the desktop must settle before the NIC/adapter is operative.

And...the firewall probably won't allow any Internet connection until it gives the "all clear", if your firewall is working properly.

Louis

hi louis,

i am referring to the USB port, this is a wireless USB adapter so i need to unplug the adapter from the USB port and reinsert back again to get connection.
you may be right abt the firewall part, let me try to set up my firewall correctly and let u know again if it works.

#6 gurung guni

gurung guni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:59 AM

hi both,

unfortunately after reconfiguring my zonealarm firewall and restarting my pc, the wireless internet access still doesn't come on automatically after start up.

my pc is just not detecting/sensing any external hardware at start up. it used to work well until recently.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:31 PM

OK...what happens if you don't remove the cable at startup? Does the connection work properly afterwards?

Have you checked for new drivers for the wireless adapter?

What does Device Manager reflect for this adapter?

Have you checked Event Viewer for errors/clues ?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#8 gurung guni

gurung guni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

it seems to be working well again... now i have auto connection to the internet at start up. didn't do any tweaking at all. but thanks a lot anyway!

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users