Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Retrieve Lost Data In A Forum?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mesmerized

Mesmerized

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I am temporarily helping a friend in moderating his forum. On the first day of the "job", I've accidentally deleted the post of a member :thumbsup: , I've tried to retrieve it by hitting the back button but I've got a blank space inside his post so I guess that the information is lost forever :flowers:. I feel sorry for the guy because I can see that he has spent a lot of time writing it. I was wondering if there is despite everything a way to retrieve it?

I appreciate all the advices I can get.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

The only way it can be retrieved is if a back-up copy is stored somewhere in the database, or if the database was backed up before you removed the post from the database. Either way, you can't do naything. The owner of the website will have to do it.

Since this is not a development problem, I am moving this to general chat.

#3 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:30 AM

Ok, I see. Thank you for the explanation.

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:43 AM

I supose from the information you gave, did you look in the forum trash can?

#5 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

i was wondering is there a easy way to find all your topics i have posted a few but the next day i find it almost imposible to find them again

also so what are the things that could get you banned

Edited by i am not known, 22 August 2008 - 11:03 PM.

I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

i was wondering is there a easy way to find all your topics i have posted a few but the next day i find it almost imposible to find them again

You could try the site search, but I would search from google, as I have mentioned elsewhere.

Put the topic title or a part of your post in quotation marks: "topic title or part of post" site:bleepingcomputer.com

also so what are the things that could get you banned

Well, here are the rules: Forum Rules

You will probably get warnings rather than banned for less serious offences, or have posting ability suspended for awhile, but if you keep it up, obviously, banned you will be.

Edited by KingOfIdiocy, 23 August 2008 - 12:21 AM.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

How To Find Your Previous Posts / Topics

Read the Bleeping Computer rules-blatent violations of these rules can result in a ban.

BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

How To Find Your Previous Posts / Topics

If it is somebody who makes many posts, I think my way is quicker.

#9 Jonathan C

Jonathan C

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

Hello everyone,

I am temporarily helping a friend in moderating his forum. On the first day of the "job", I've accidentally deleted the post of a member :thumbsup: , I've tried to retrieve it by hitting the back button but I've got a blank space inside his post so I guess that the information is lost forever :flowers:. I feel sorry for the guy because I can see that he has spent a lot of time writing it. I was wondering if there is despite everything a way to retrieve it?

I appreciate all the advices I can get.

Thanks.

First of all what Forum program is he using (IPBoard, PHPbb,SMF) Most likely if the post was deleted it was removed from the database and is lost unless you have a backup. If you dont have a backup its probably gone so if your not backing up yet you might want to start a daily backup if you tell me what forum application you are using i can get a backup app. do it automatically.
Posted Image

#10 i am not known

i am not known

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

i searched my topic in google i found it i clicked on it but there was an error is there a chance it was deleted
I hear a boy only has a certain amount of tears one day the pain and dissapointment happen so often the pain dissapers and the boy becomes a man

#11 Mesmerized

Mesmerized
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:23 AM

If you dont have a backup its probably gone so if your not backing up yet you might want to start a daily backup if you tell me what forum application you are using i can get a backup app. do it automatically.

Ok, sorry I've missed your post. I just want to thank you for offering to help but you see the site just crumbled down afterwards. My friend isn't a good administrator I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users