Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe And Rundll32 Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lawyerjim

lawyerjim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:55 AM

Windows XP service pack 2 on Sony Vaio PC Intell 2.2 GHZ

This was my personal computer that I used with no problems. I bought a new one and gave this one to my teenager and he downloaded everything he could find until it's so screwed up that I want to throw it out the window. (him too)

When I turn on the computer, I get a box that says "userinit.exe - Application Error" so I have to click OK to terminate it.

Next, I have to cntrl, alt, del then run explorer.exe

Then I get a box that says "rundll32.exe - Application Error" so I have to click on OK to terminate it.

Even when I make it to the desktop, there are so many things that don't work such as I can't change the wallpaper, screen resolution, clock, or open "add or remove programs". Each time I try to access one of those programs, I get the Rundll32 box again.

Where do I start to get things going again without a complete reinstall. I don't want to do that unless I have to because I have a lot of software on it that I no longer have access to the disks.

Also, there are no restore points.

Thank you,

Jim

Edited by lawyerjim, 23 July 2008 - 02:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:22 AM

If this has happened recently you can try a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

If you can't do the System Restore, try running chkdsk.

How to run chkdsk from My Computer

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

Edited by dc3, 23 July 2008 - 03:26 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 lawyerjim

lawyerjim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

I did that and there is no change. I believe it has the vundo or virtumonde virus but not positive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 06:46 PM

It sounds infected to me. I'm going to move this over to the "Am I Infected" forum for some more expert help....
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users