System - Win98SE and Xandros dual boot, AMD K6-2 500MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, AOpen AX59 Pro Motherboard
SIS 6326 PCI graphics card, CDROM and LG CDRW drives. 20GB Hard drive (2x10GB partitions) 5GB free
2x USB ports (1 faulty). External modem (no longer has internet connection).
Software - Office 97, Works Suite 2001 including Word 2000, imaging stuff for printer and scanner and CD burner, some DOS like Genealogy programs and knitting pattern programs. AVG 6 anti-virus, AdAwareSE. Some crossword puzzle type programs.
Problem - Intermittent one off events over the last month:
- One desktop icon would not appear correctly when system loaded - refreshed after ~10 mins.
- Genealogy database got screwed up - wrong data with wrong people, duplicates etc.
- Folder name fonts garbled for one folder only (different folder each time).
- System locks up for maybe 20 seconds, then recovers.
- Disk activity for no apparent reason.
- Word complains that Normal.dot already exists (?) and do you want to save it?
Will not take 'no' or cancel for an answer.
Can anyone offer suggestions for the cause of the errors?
Edited by Rimmer, 14 April 2005 - 08:03 PM.