Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caveanimal

caveanimal

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi All, I think I need a new graphics card,and was wondering if someone can please make a suggestion, I dont use it for gaming very much, about the only game I use it for is Tiger woods 2008 golf, and for video editing. I don't have a lot of money at this time for a top end board and would like some suggestions. Please

Computer specs.

Antec Plus1000 tower 430 Watt P.S. , An Asus P4P 800 deluxe motherboard, an intel 4 3.2 processor, 1GB . of ram, a 250 gb seagate drive, Xp Pro operating system,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:13 PM

How much money do you want to spend? 8800Gt's are now down to around $150 which is a really good card. Also, the 8800GS, which is slower, is down to about $110 and also a $30 mail-in rebate. These are my suggestions for some of the best graphics cards for the money. I don't know how intense the video-editing you do it, but you could probably get something cheaper if all you plan on playing in the future is Tiger Woods 08.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.
I searched for that card and came up with different manufacturers. What is the make that you prefer, if you dont mind me asking.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:02 PM

The best, in my opinion, is probably EVGA. XFX is second best, followed by MSI and Asus. Other brands usually aren't that bad if you can find a deal on them.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:51 AM

I'm new to this (still working on finalizing my first build myself), but from what I've heard, at least with NVIDIA, the lower grade cards in the 8000 GT series, such as the 8500 GT by BIOSTAR offer moderate graphics power for a cheap price.

The only thing with my suggestion is that you may need to upgrade your power source by about 100W.

Here is the link to this card via newegg:

8500GT

Edited by mikerox, 25 July 2008 - 12:57 AM.

A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

#6 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:25 AM

Hi again, I got this email from a dealer that I purchased some things from when I built my computer, a few years ago. :thumbsup:
I was wondering if I could put in this card http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...mp;promoid=1015 I am getting to that age where some things are getting confusing. lol If not can you please look at the sale list and advise me again on a card. if you dont mind, sorry for being a pest. and thanks for all your help. almost forgot the site.
http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=xmasjuly08

#7 mikerox

mikerox

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi again, I got this email from a dealer that I purchased some things from when I built my computer, a few years ago. :thumbsup:
I was wondering if I could put in this card http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...mp;promoid=1015 I am getting to that age where some things are getting confusing. lol If not can you please look at the sale list and advise me again on a card. if you dont mind, sorry for being a pest. and thanks for all your help. almost forgot the site.
http://www.ncix.com/promo/promosale.php?webid=xmasjuly08

Personally, I think you'll do just fine with that card. Similar to the one I suggested...only with more onboard RAM, and more awesome looking.

:huh:
A Christian and proud of it.

Those who use the Posted Image Button will suffer the wrath of Neapolitan!

#8 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the help :thumbsup: just ordered it hope it fits okay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users