Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choice Between Anti-virus Programs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan12

Ryan12

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Road Runners offers me CA Internet Security Suite 2007 for free as a customer.
http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm?startView=TECHNOLOGY then click Security tab.

I have avast! free, Spyware Blaster, SUPERAntiSpyware and Spybot S&D (but I hate the Resident because it is too aggressive)...and good browsing habits

My dad runs a business on his computer and he has a subscription with Kaspersky Anti-Virus (not Internet Security) plus the anti-spyware programs that I have.

Questions:

Should I use CA instead of Avast free?

Should my dad use CA instead when his subscription expires, as a free alternative?

Edited by Ryan12, 22 July 2008 - 08:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:32 AM

I always avoid security suites and prefer to use individual applications that have been designed specifically to perform one function; this provides me with flexibility and "best of breed" software. I also find that suites are "clunkier" compared to an array of individual applications.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

First off I should note that I tend to agree with jgweed's statement about security suites.

...I hate the Resident because it is too aggressive...

I'm assuming you mean the TeaTimer resident protection of Spybot here?

Should I use CA instead of Avast free?

I would say absolutely not. CA has long been known for ridiculous false positives and the reviews of the product at sites such as this tend to agree and think unfavorably of it. I have never had problems on this computer, but a recent online scan at CA produced false positives of trojans on innocuous registry entries, etc.

If you run/use what you have, run Avast with real-time protection and a good real-time anti-spyware I think you would be far better off than with CA.

Should my dad use CA instead when his subscription expires, as a free alternative?

Since your dad runs a business with his computer he will want to have the best protection possible. Kaspersky is an excellent choice and there is no way I would recommend using CA on any computer let alone one used for business.

What firewalls are used on the computers?

Edited by drex23, 23 July 2008 - 01:48 PM.

#4 Ryan12

Ryan12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:10 PM

I've just installed Comodo Pro, the free firewall. I believe my computer and the others in my house, which are connected to one router and modem, have some other kind of firewall. I'm not sure how to verify that. I believe our actual IP(s) are different than the one(s) visible on the Internet. This would have been set up by our old computer technician.

Comodo shows no inbound connections or intrusion attempts.

Edited by Ryan12, 24 July 2008 - 02:12 PM.

#5 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:55 PM

Comodo is a very good choice, I personally use it as well. If the other computers are using something other than the Windows firewall (which they should be) then there should be an icon in the system tray for the firewall that is running. Just like you should see Comodo's shield icon in your tray.

#6 Criker

Criker

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:10 PM

You know a lot of time the firewalls people have installed on there computer causes more issues than one of a router type. You should let your router works as your firewall not your pc.

#7 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

While it may be acceptable to use only the protection afforded by the router, there's nothing wrong with using both. The software firewall can protect in ways the NAT technology of the router cannot. More complete information can be found at these pages:
http://www.lockergnome.com/windows/2008/07...tware-firewall/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/understanding-and-using-firewalls/

#8 Simargl

Simargl

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:49 PM

CA is excellent software. Nothing more to add.

#9 Mr.Kenedy

Mr.Kenedy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:06 AM

-Try Bit Defender or Kaspersky Internet Security, the best antivirus, see list of top antivirus :
http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com
- Try Zone Alarm PRO or Shield PRO Firewall 2008, see list of top firewall :
http://www.all-internet-security.com/top_1...l_software.html
- Try Spy Sweeper or CounterSpy, see list of top antispy :
http://anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/
Hope you like it ! :thumbsup:

#10 drukaliztah

drukaliztah

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:42 AM

if you want to be VERY SAFE..

pay for one, Kaspersky is so good, but if you have a slow computer, don't even think about using this.

ps,

NOD32 is the best counterpart for kaspersky..

Faster, but less effective than kaspersky..

Kaspersky is so effective, but makes your computer relatively slower (if you have a crappy computer, that is)

Edited by drukaliztah, 30 July 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#11 ahola

ahola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:45 PM

if you want to be VERY SAFE..

pay for one, Kaspersky is so good, but if you have a slow computer, don't even think about using this.

ps,

NOD32 is the best counterpart for kaspersky..

Faster, but less effective than kaspersky..

Kaspersky is so effective, but makes your computer relatively slower (if you have a crappy computer, that is)

I have used Kaspersky and Comodo. I agree that Kaspersky does make your computer run slow on a older computer. So far Comodo have been working great on my other PC with no noticeable slowdowns.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:49 PM

Just keep in mind that there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not work for you. You could install a program that doesn't play nice with your computer. That happens more with suites than stand-alone products. If there is a program you want to purchase, the best thing to do is see if that program has a trial offer. Install the trial, see if it works with your computer. You'll find out quickly if it does or doesn't, if it's user friendly.
I use Comodo for a firewall, and AVG for anti-virus, and have had no issues with either one of them.

#13 ahola

ahola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:54 PM

Just keep in mind that there is no one size fits all when it comes to computer security. What works for me may not work for you. You could install a program that doesn't play nice with your computer. That happens more with suites than stand-alone products. If there is a program you want to purchase, the best thing to do is see if that program has a trial offer. Install the trial, see if it works with your computer. You'll find out quickly if it does or doesn't, if it's user friendly.
I use Comodo for a firewall, and AVG for anti-virus, and have had no issues with either one of them.

That is great advice. Trail versions of programs really help determine if a program will play nice in your PC. So far Comodo and Avast has been working great in my PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users