Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yr-less

yr-less

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:50 PM

I am trying to force the install of updates that have already been downloaded.

I updated some other software while windows was downloading it's updates. I have auto updates set to download only.
I am running XP pro SP2.

After updating the other software I had to restart. Windows had already notified me that the updates were ready before I restarted. After the restart, the update program did not start. I have tried restart the auto update service thinking that that would 'trick' the updates into starting. The only way I could make the updates start was by shutting down the computer and choosing the "install updates then shut down option". I know on my mac and my linux machines I can just start the update app but I haven't been able to find a similar option in XP.

Any idea's? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:56 PM

If you go Start > Control Panel > Automatic Updates and then click at the bottom where it says "Install Updates from the Windows Update Web Site" it will check for any updates.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 yr-less

yr-less
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.

What I am trying to do is launch the auto update app in the system tray. Going through the automatic updates in control panel and clicking on 'install updates from website' will open IE and re-download the updates. I want to install the updates that I have already downloaded.

This is what I am trying to launch manually. Posted Image

Thanks...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 01:23 PM

I'd try turning off the auto update option...and then restarting it a few minutes later.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users