Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Person New To Programming

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 im_no_good_with_computers

im_no_good_with_computers

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Hi, I am going to be a freshman in college this year and I am going for a computer science major. I did not know i would have to be taking programming classes (but thats obvious i guess im oblivious). I have absolutely no experience in programming and I am kind of worried that i may fail that course in programming. Do you guys have any advice or know a book or website where i can familiarize myself with the basics of programming (for windows).

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:13 PM

Do you know what programming language(s) they are going to use in that class?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

I'm pretty sure they said alot about Java

Edited by im_no_good_with_computers, 22 July 2008 - 07:18 PM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

You could have a look here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Alan-LB

Alan-LB

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:19 PM

It may be best to talk to your tutor and find out all the detaails of the course, what textbooks are going to be required and so on.

Alan
There are 10 types of people - those who understand binary and those who don't!!

Today is the Beta version of Tomorrow!

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:28 AM

They will start you at square one, so don't worry about it. The way the education system works (at least in the US), there is no expectation that anyone has any programming experience at all.

#7 im_no_good_with_computers

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

I hope so but thanks for all the info!

#8 anirban

anirban

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:18 AM

The fact of the matter is whatever programming language you learn , the basic logic behind programming remains same.

Even I have found that the topics covered for teaching any programming language are same.

Intro
Data types
Operators,Expresions
Control flow statements
loops
Functions,structures
if its a oop like java c++ then oops concepts
advanced features

If C is the language which is my favourite look here

for java as mentioed before see here

for c++ see here
ANIRBAN

#9 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:42 AM

Even I have found that the topics covered for teaching any programming language are same

I'm not sure what that means.... programming is a discipline. A programming language is what one uses to carry out that discipline. Since all programming languages are used to do programming, it only stands to reason that they are all going to have identical concepts. So yes, programming has variables, control structures, and data types, so one would learn how to use those concepts in whatever language they may be using in the process of learning the discipline of programming.

@im_no_good_with_computers, lesson #1, programing can be taught without doing any programming at all using only flow charts, addition, and automata. Turning machines were formulated in the mid 1930s. Finite state machines are based on mathematics. Those are not classes you will get to until later though. Your first Java class will be tricky because not only are you learning programming concepts, you are also learning a language in order to implement those concepts. You are really learning two things. Stick with it though, because Computer Science has little to do with code (although writing programs is sometimes necessary to understand various concepts). There is a huge market for Computer Scientists (which is not the same as being a programmer).

if its a oop like java c++ then oops concepts

Oop can apply to any language, yes, even C.

#10 AduBabA

AduBabA

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:38 AM

Hey there! Don't wory about a thing... Programming isn't all that hard if you put your mind to it. I'd recomend that you do some research on programming languages and how they work. If possible try and find out from existing students at the college which programming languages they are learning and then try to find some tutorials on the web. :trumpet: try going to google and in the search box type in the language that you want e.g. If I wanted to learn c++ then I would enter "pdf c++ beginners tutorial" and when you search you would find hits which have a "[PDF]" starting to its title. That means that it found an ebook related to what you have found.Just click on it to download it and then read read read read and do some more READING! :thumbsup: :flowers:
It has helped me alot hope it does for you

#11 Jonah Kwok

Jonah Kwok

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 28 August 2008 - 05:10 AM

You could have a look here.

Thanks for the guide link :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users