Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Trips Power Switch

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 z-unit

z-unit

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

i just got a new rosewill 750 watt psu but it keeps tripping the switch in the garage that gives power to all the bedrooms in the house. i dont know if my room cant handle 750 watts or if there is a problem with the psu itself. when i plug everything in and and turn the switch the light on the mobo turns on so i know its getting power, but when i turn the computer on itself it trips the switch. my guess is that its too much power for my room but i dont see why it shouldnt be able to handle it. advice or solutions would be great

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:59 PM

Well...no point in denying the obvious.

If you want to test in other rooms, you could do that...and then try it in your room again. That should be conclusive.

If it trips the power throughout the structure...the PS may be bad or the structure wiring may be questionable.

Louis

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:40 AM

Is the circuit breaker in your garage an RCD (Residual Current Device)? If the computer PSU works OK in another location, and the circuit breaker is an RCD, the PSU may have sufficient earth leakage to trigger it. That may not mean it's faulty - some moisture condensation trapped under a component can do it, in which situation running a while connected to a point that isn't on the RCD may evaporate the moisture away.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:08 AM

Hi z-unit, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:

dont know if my room cant handle 750 watts or if there is a problem with the psu itself

That's PS output. :flowers:
The ps itself should only use\draw standard outlet voltage, no matter what the output. (110 in US)
Make sure the switch on the back of the PS is set accordingly. If it is, the PS itself is probably defective and could cook your motherboard and\or other components as well.
BTW, is this system oem or custom build?

Edited by HitSquad, 23 July 2008 - 08:13 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

The American version of what Platypus is talking about is GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter).

Does this switch look like either of these two devices? The breaker is the device with the white wire attached, there is a test button on these that can be either red or white depending on the manufacturer.

Posted Image

If this is a GFCI the problem could be that it is a older type, some of the early models didn't like to see certain types of loads. AS it has been suggested, try plugging this in on a circuit that is on a different breaker, it it fails on the separate then you have a dead short in the PSU and will need to replace it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users