Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Fan Header Intermittent Failure

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KDawg360

KDawg360

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:42 PM

This is one I have never encountered before...I bet you never heard that one!!...I am working on an Acer Veriton workstation that has me climbing walls. Acer has a known problem on the mother board, with the CPU fan header, fan header1, going bad...their advice is to swap to fan header2...this particular machine I have to swap back-and-forth between header1 and header2 on a continuum...this is way weird....when one header quits, it quits, but the other works....I know this makes no sense....but we're talking 'puters here....anyone have a clue as to what is going on? This issue may make me as schizoid at a PC!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:44 PM

Tried connecting it directly to PS?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:36 PM

As long as the fan's not being monitored I'd do what Louis said. I never did use all the fan headers on a motherboard. I just don't trust the solder traces to carry all that load
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 KDawg360

KDawg360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

Thank you both, so far, for your replies. No, I didn't perform a bypass to the powersupply because I have had to defer to the header2 on six of the ten workstations on this particular job site. Acer FAQ page is how I determed changing headers as opposed to fan chaneout on the first of the machines to act up. And I have had no recurrance on any of the other machines. This particular one though, is strange. When I went back to fix this one the second time I took a new fan with me, but just to amuse myself I decided to revert back to header1 before replacing the fan. And guess what? It worked!! Since then, it did the same thing again and I had a surrogate swap it back once again...and guess what? It worked again!! I kid you not; when you swap the header it works...shut'er down swap back, and the header is dead. This is a true intermit that the header dies, and then comes back to life when the other dies; back and forth. There has to be an answer...my best guess would be BIOS confusion because when a solder trace is interrupted it stays interrupted, right?

Edited by KDawg360, 22 July 2008 - 06:57 PM.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

when a solder trace is interrupted it stays interrupted, right?

Not necessarily. I've seen plenty of strange things occur. Yours is an oddball, though
On the BIOS, all I can say is to poke around. I know on my new Abit board you have to set it to a 3 or 4 pin header. Who knows
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:04 PM

Motherboard defect...is what I would call it.

Especially so if the problem can be bypassed by just connecting directly to the PS.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users