Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Restarting

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:39 PM

Okay, so I need to say this fast, my computer keep rebooting even though I dont tell it to, it's done it like five times and I really don't know whats wrong. The screen just goes blank for a few seconds, then it goes through the startup process. It went to the blue screen once, and told me to restart if it was the first time. It only did this once, and i really don't know what to make of it.

Upon running several virus scans, there was nothing, I ran AVG, Spybot and Ad-aware, none of them came up with anything.

I've also checked on my fans, and they all seem to be working fine, if anyone wants a screenshot of my fan monitor program, just ask.

Please, I really have o idea what's going on, so someone please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. An alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message (which is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD)).

To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, right-click on My Computer and select Properties > Advanced tab. Under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure". Make sure that "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked. Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.

This will not cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with information displayed that will allow you to better trace your problem. Next time your computer crashes copy down the entire error message (including all the numbers) and post it back here.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

I'll be sure to do that, it hasn't done it since, I'll report back once it does.

#4 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:01 PM

Okay, so the computer gave me the BSoD once more, I wrote it down this time, here it is, let me know if you need any more info.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: atapi.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

If this is the first time...

Check to make sure any hardware is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware/software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to used safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFO:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0x836E60B3, 0x00000001, 0xF73B512E, 0x00000000)

***atapi.sys - Address F73B512E base at F7aD000

datestamp 41107b4d

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

What SP is currently installed on your system...what's the latest you've installed?

Louis

#6 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:57 PM

What SP is currently installed on your system...what's the latest you've installed?

Louis

I'm osrry, but I have no clue what SP is.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

Service Packs from Windows Updates
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 05:25 PM

Service Packs from Windows Updates

I'm not entirely sure how to find that out, if it helps, I updated two weeks ago.

EDIT-

Okay, I'm about install service pack 3

Edited by edwardthegreat5, 26 July 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:58 PM

The reason I asked was that I saw a few references indicating that this was a problem common to users with only SP1 installed :thumbsup:. I was looking for a "quick fix."

Louis

#10 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 07:29 PM

The reason I asked was that I saw a few references indicating that this was a problem common to users with only SP1 installed :thumbsup:. I was looking for a "quick fix."

Louis

It might've been that, I updated to SP3, I'll report back here if the problem persist.

#11 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

Okay, the computer keeps doing it, I still have no idea.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 28 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

This problem can be caused by defective RAM. Try testing your RAM with memtest86.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

I haven't posted in a while, but my computer is still pretty bad. It's shutting off more often, and I got another BSoD. I couldn't jot down what it said, but I remember it mentioning something about BIOS. I'm not entirely sure what that is, but I wanna know if it would be a good idea to take it in, or if anyone here knows what the problem might be and how to fix it.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:28 AM

Did you ever test your RAM...as previously suggested?

FWIW: Error messages are important. Not loosely interpreted versions, but the actual contents. Lack of error message content just results in a lot of random guessing that could be avoided if the OP provided the actual error message content that appears as a possible aid to diagnosing what the system deems to be wrong.

Louis

#15 edwardthegreat5

edwardthegreat5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Did you ever test your RAM...as previously suggested?

FWIW: Error messages are important. Not loosely interpreted versions, but the actual contents. Lack of error message content just results in a lot of random guessing that could be avoided if the OP provided the actual error message content that appears as a possible aid to diagnosing what the system deems to be wrong.

Louis

Sorry about that, but I didn't have time to jot down everything, it only had the blue screen for less than a minute, then it turned off.

And I haven't tested my RAM, as I couldn't figure out how to get the program to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users