Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson Scanner Crashes System

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bspinnaker

bspinnaker

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:02 PM

My Epson 4490 Scanner was working fine when I first got it. But after not using it for several weeks, I plugged it into my ThinkPad's USB port, and now it freezes the system. The mouse is frozen, as is the keyboard. I can only shut down the computer by holding down the power key. This problem is repeatable.

I reinstalled the scanner's software, but this did not fix the problem.

I also tried booting the laptop with the scanner already plugged into the USB port, but when I do this, the computer cannot even boot---it hangs at the initial Loading Windows screen.

Neither USB port seems damaged. My optical mouse works fine in both.

I have a ThinkPad T40 with 512MB of RAM.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Are the scanner drivers installed on the laptop? If so, i would remove them and reinstall same, they may be corrupt.

The scanner has its own PS so drivers are the only thing I can think of that might be a problem (along with the Epson software).

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:45 AM

Go to the Device Manager, and go down to Imaging devices and click on the box next to it with the + in it. Double click on the device and then click on the Drivers tab and uninstall the drivers. After that try reinstalling the drivers from the CD that came with the scanner.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:42 PM

Go to the Device Manager, and go down to Imaging devices and click on the box next to it with the + in it. Double click on the device and then click on the Drivers tab and uninstall the drivers. After that try reinstalling the drivers from the CD that came with the scanner.

My Device Manager does not list Imaging devices, and the scanner is nowhere to be found in other categories. Maybe this is the problem?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 02:19 AM

Does the scanner show up in My Computer?

Is it listed in the Add or Remove software?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 bspinnaker

bspinnaker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:39 AM

Does the scanner show up in My Computer?

Is it listed in the Add or Remove software?

Several programs related to the scanner (Epson Scan, Epson Event Manager, Epson File Manager, Epson Scan Assistant, Epson Copy Utility) show up in Add/Remove Programs. The scanner does not show up in My Computer (but the scanner is not plugged into my laptop, as doing so immediately freezes the system).

Maybe I should remove all Scanner programs/files, then reinstall the software?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

If the drivers and software to use the scanner are on the same CD...yes, I would vote for an uninstall/reinstall :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users