Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen On Startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

I have repeatedly tried to boot up my Dell Dimension 8400, but each time the same problem happens. First, the XP Logo screen hangs for like a minute. Then, the screen turns black. Here, it should load the accounts screen. Instead, the screen turns black, a mouse pointer appears, and then the little hourglass mouse pointer is there forever until I reboot. In safe mode, the screen turns black right after the long list of loaded drivers. The 'Safe Mode' indicators are in the corners, but no other indication that it actually works. I think XP is broke :thumbsup: Can anyone help me?

Edited by Ryan 3000, 22 July 2008 - 03:00 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

Try running chkdsk from the Recovery Console.

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the response. I did what you said and CHKDSK got to about 50% and just stopped. I know nothing is wrong with the drive now, but I'm convinced I have some malware. I'm going to try to USB-boot linux and run AVG. I have one problem tho. The website I checked for booting from USB said I had to move all files to the USB drive. Check. It also said I have to run SysLinux.exe from a download and give a certain command line command. Well, I'm not very apt at this. Here are the instructions:
if your USB drive is usually found at /dev/sda1, and in Windows type:
syslinux.exe E:

Can someone type out what I should type in cmd?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

Are you sure nothing is wrong with the drive? If chkdsk stopped at 50% I would suspect a drive problem and run a diagnostic check on it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:41 PM

FWIW: If chkdsk reaches a point where the percentage seems to be stuck...it's usually because it has difficulty resolving some file/disk problem...but it's still working. If chkdsk cannot work through whatever it is, it will provide an error message stating such.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:28 PM

FWIW - most black screen problems with XP revolve around video drivers and disk problems. It sounds like there's a problem with your disk and if chkdsk doesn't complete, then a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive is likely to be the next step.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2008 - 09:04 PM

Alright finally figured it out. I ran CHKDSK R again and it worked thanks very much. This was about 3 weeks ago but you guys say to say more than "I fixed it!"

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users