Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Wallpaper "warning! Spyware Detected On Your Computer"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaidinB'ham

MaidinB'ham

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:14 PM

Hi and thanks for taking the time to review my problem.
Have blue wallpaper with yellow/blue centered dialog box states "Warning! spyware detected on your computer, install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer"
Desktop - properties - wallpaper - show wallpaper name phcpf6j0egen. I left this and did not try to change it.
Other symptoms are full page blue screens with lots of dialog about errors telling me to disable BIOS memory options etc. etc. there may be many such pages - each one different describing different errors (they change quickly so I can not write hardly anything down) then it appears to restart my computer - has windows start up screen, but I think its a fake screen - it not really restarting and I can eventually get back to my desktop, the files I have open, or the web browser.
I was surfing the internet when it happened and was tweaking my kerio firewall on my three networked computers, I had downloaded a pdf file and took a screenshot of my router - I deleted these files when I saw the bug although they looked pretty benign to me.

I posted this on Hijack This Logs and Malware Removal, but was suggested that I post here
link

Need some direction on how to proceed to remove whatever is infecting my PC. Things that I have done so far
ad-aware - negative
Spybot - have removed 2 registries (twice) seem to be referring to screensaver/wallpaper
Avast - negative
Kaspersky online scan (log is in above link) - indicates infection
DSS (reports in above link)

I have downloaded Malwarebytes Anti Malware - should I run it?
Any input would be much appreciated - dont have much experience with this sort of thing, and while the problem doesn't seem to be very serious, (the blue screen of death and the restart screens are fake?) I suppose it could get worse or spread to my other computers.
Thanks for sharing,
Regards, Janice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

Hi MaidinB'ham,

Since you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, I'm going to close this Topic.

You shouldn't make any changes to your system, while your HJT log is posted, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.
At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users