Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Find Virus In My Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jigsawbill

jigsawbill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

I have a bad virus in my machine, and a friend recommended that I come out here and get combo fix and run it. Just curious how do I do this?

[Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 22 July 2008 - 11:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:18 AM

Can you provide the details of either what virus you think you have, or why you think you have a virus? This will help our Members guide you in removing it.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jigsawbill

jigsawbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:29 AM

I have a blue screen popping up periodicly with messages like Bogus Driver, and IRQL not less or equal, and No more IRP stack locations. At the same time internet explorer will not operate any links. I switched home page to Google and now have access to the net, but download links seem to lock the machine up, and my windows fire wall has been turned off, and I can't turn it back on. I sure enough do need some advice. A friend told me to come out here and download combofix, and run it, but I'm told that I need better help than this. Thanks, any help will be greatly appreciated.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

a friend recommended that I come out here and get combo fix and run it

Please note the message text in blue at the top of this forum.

You should not be using Combofix unless instructed to do so by a Malware Removal Expert. It is a powerful tool intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer.

As jgweed said, provide us with specific details as to what issues you are having.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 jigsawbill

jigsawbill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:28 PM

Okay, I now know that the combo fix was a mistake for me, To start with my Avast went off shortly after the wife opened an email by accident. I ran the avast scan and removed some 12 different items, then I ran spybot, and removed many more. Then I attempted to go on line and my internet explorer just locked up, and I finallly went into internet options on control panel and changed to Google as home page, now I can get out, but cannot download, or access any links. I have follwed advice from a local repairmen and tried to download SDFix, but that won't work either.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:37 PM

If you cannot use your Internet, you are going to need access to another computer (family member, friend, etc) with an Internet connection. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, save it to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer it to the infected machine, then install and run the program. If it does not run from the machine or you cannot transfer it, try running MBAM directly from the flash drive.

Before performing a Quick Scan in normal mode, please print out and follow these instructions.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

If you're using Win 2000/XP, then download and save SDFix as well in case we need to use it later.

Edited by quietman7, 22 July 2008 - 02:39 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,720 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Moderator note: Present post 3 was a separate topic which I have merged with this topic and which provides more details of the computer problems experienced. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users