Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar Pause (35 Sec) After Switching User

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tpot1

tpot1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:20 AM

I use fast user switching frequently. But recently, every time I switch to my particular user it takes approximately 35 seconds before the task bar is usable and the system tray is displayed. Running programs are usable during this time and alt-tab also works. Of 5 users on this PC, mine is the only one to have this problem.

In order to reproduce this all I have to do is switch to a different user then "switch user" back to the welcome screen then log in to my user. It does it every time.

During the 35 second pause there is no additional cpu activity and no additional disk activity. there might be some additional network activity but not noticeable.

The problem has only started happening recently. I've been trying to rack my brains as to exactly what changed at exactly that time. The most significant changes recently are (i think):
1) I installed a second 500GB harddrive and moved my personal folder onto it (the one normally under documents and settings). I changed all of my file references in the registry to point to the new location, including my ProfileImagePath. This is nothing new to me, all of the users on this pc have a non-default location for their documents and settings (and they don't have this problem).
2) I installed XP Service Pack 3.

I've run Tcpview, but there's nothing in there that looks suspicious.
I've run ShellExView but a lot of the stuff in there means nothing to me.
I've run Ccleaner, RegCure and Registry Mechanic, but I still have the problem.

So what is causing this. Is there a hook or registry key that can invoke something to run every time you switch to a user?

Thanks for your help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Computer:
Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU
Q9300 @ 2.50GHz
2.50GHz, 3.24GB of RAM
Security:
AntiVirus - Avast 4.8 home
Anti-spyware - XoftSpySE v4.33
Firewall - built-in windows XP
Network - Cable modem through Dlink router using newtork address translation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by garmanma, 22 July 2008 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tpot1

tpot1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:54 AM

Hi Garmanma.

I Only added the Hijackthis log for completeness. someone was bound to ask for it.

I don't think this is a security / malware / spyware issue. So now I think my post is in the wrong forum.

Shall I repost the question without the hijackthis log?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:01 PM

I'll do that for you
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users