Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I Protected Enough?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 PapaPixels

PapaPixels

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

Hi, can someone please tell me if i have enough computer protection. I use avast free home edition as my antivirus. My firewall is comodo firewall pro 3. I use the following anti-spyware programs. ad-aware 2008, spybot S&D, spyware blaster and HijackThis(utility). Should i add anything else? Also, i was considering to get superantispyware and AVG anti-spyware. Would these conflict with any of the programs i already use? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

Ditch Ad Aware and replace it with Super Anti Spyware. SAS is more effective. And you don't need Hijack This unless someone here tells you to download it. It's not a routine utility. The problem with AVG Anti Spyware is Grisoft plans to discontinue it as a stand alone product at the end of this year. They plan to bundle it with other products. I have it and I'm looking for a replacement.

#3 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:06 AM

Ok thanks frank. Do you use SaS? And is SaS free okay? Will it conflict with any of the programs I already have? I have Spysweeper on my computer but my subscription already ended more than a year ago. Should i just delete it from the computer? Thanks

#4 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:08 AM

Also, whats your opinion on spyware terminator? whats better superantispyware> or <spyware terminator free or are they =

#5 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hello, I just downloaded SaS (SuperantiSpyware). from superantispyware.com. Is this a safe anti-spyware software? Like its not a rogue? Thanks. Also, atm i have SaS(probably legitimate), spybot S&D, spyware blaster, and adaware. Is this enough anti-spyware security?

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:24 PM

SuperAntiSpyware is definitely safe. It's scanner is often used by the helpers here to help people with there malware problems.

Some people here say you should have more than one anti-spyware, but I don't know how many is too many.

I don't use one myself( :thumbsup: ), so doing the opposite to me is probably the safest option.

#7 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:14 PM

k thx pal. btw why do ads keep popping up in forum posts

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:18 PM

Are you logged in when you see the ads?

Also I merged your two very similar topics into one thread.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

Which browser do you use?. If you use Firefox and the AdBlock+ and No Scripts add ons you will get very few ads and you shouldn't have ads popping up in forum pages.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#10 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:26 PM

i use firefox also with noscript, adblock plus, flashblocker, siteadvisor, and url fixer lol. I'm about to dl spywareguard to prevent spyware. Could i also get malwarebytes' anti-malware also. After i do that my protection will be:

Anti-virus:
Avast

Firewall:
Comodo firewall pro

Anti-spywares:
Adaware
spybot S&D
spyware blaster
superantispyware
spyware guard

Anti-malware:
malwarebytes' anti-malware

are all of these fine and compatible with each other?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

I feel adAware will be unnecessary with all the rest. Too much will also start to slow things down. Are you running the Teatimer application of Spybot?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 PapaPixels

PapaPixels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

yes i am running tea timer. should i disable it? If so please tell me how. If adaware is unecessary, i will delete it. Will the other programs conflict with each other though?

#13 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

SpyBot is a good app. The teatimer function will sometimes interfere with some malware scans. I would Disable it prior too a scan once I know I have an infection and then re-enable after it is cleaned. I think AdAware is to bloated and you have better tools there. I would (if it were me) uninstall it. I'm fairly certain all the rest will live in peace.

You can disable TeaTimer 2 ways

To disable TeaTimer and remove its startup entry:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

To temporarally close TeaTimer and restart it later:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.

Restart TeaTimer:(after Fix)
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Reboot is NOT necessary for the change to take effect.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2827
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:57 PM

k thx pal. btw why do ads keep popping up in forum posts

Are you logged in when you see the ads?

In case you missed my question last time. :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

Ok thanks frank. Do you use SaS? And is SaS free okay? Will it conflict with any of the programs I already have? I have Spysweeper on my computer but my subscription already ended more than a year ago. Should i just delete it from the computer? Thanks

I run SAS weekly and it has snagged infections in the past. Unlike some other apps, it doesn't seem to conflict with anything. It plays well with others. I'm not familiar with Spyware Terminator but I am looking for a replacement for AVG and it won't be Spybot or AdAware. If you're going to ditch Spysweeper, uninstall it as opposed to deleting it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users