Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ewido program for anti-virus protection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:23 PM

Installation of Ewido Security Suite began about 9:00 PM, April 13th, 2005

I made two screenshots and posted to a thread requesting opinions about AV products.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ant...ce-t15687.html#

9:16:30 I set the updating into motion, as the first launch informed me I had NO definitions "onboard".

"Attackers do not mind if you have the lastest definitions are not.  To be protected
against this threat most efficiently, you are highly recommended to run the online update at least once a week"

as stated in this screen, which is the security suite console initial window<--click to view

9:25:00 I was rebooted ready to scan.

all functions & configurations are presently available<--click to view

It took me several more minutes to decide what I wanted to do with the full functioning menu.
Which ended up being very little for the moment other than scan using the database of over 100,000 definitions.

9:30:00 scan began.

each file being scanned is rapidly displayed at the bottom to the screen<--click to view

As I expected, the scan boosts the CPU use to 100%.
That's OK, I can minimize the GUI window (which is pleasant to view, and clean. You can watch progress, too.)
I can also conduct other "chores", such as capture screenshots and use wordpad while I wait with liitle sluggishness).

this shows the task manager details while scan is running<--click to view

Checking the processes tab in the task manager utility reveals this:
SecuritySuite.exe 17,000 - 20,000 KB,
xcommsvr.exe 3,600 KB &
ewidoctrl.exe 1,1916 KB are the added processes.

bdss.exe
, which is the Bit Defender context menu option, continues to run unimpaired.

I was interupted while observing the task manager by three alerts requiring that I do something.
I OK'd the option to quarantine all three.

Posted Image..... Posted Image .....Posted Image

Since I didn't configure anything except to accept default configuration and initilize the scan,
I got the "quick zip sound" to go with the little red flashing light dialog box each time.

OK, that's good, those are my "bummerz".
I'd be disappointed if they were not found.

9:50:00 and it seems that we are nearly half-way done.

10:00, surprise we're done.
I was using the FF and posting at BC when a box interrupted my posting.
Three choices were presented in the smallish box half covering the website posting box where I was typing.

DELETE 'em
QUARRANTINE 'em
IGNORE 'em.

I selected to ignore 'em and decided to exit the BC post reply in favor or checking Ewido's action some more.

These shots indicate the results,

Posted Image

A recap of the final deal.

Posted Image

and three buttons at the bottom of the window allow me to:

NEW SCAN
SAVE REPORT
SHOW STATISTICS

I saved the Notepad report to the desktop.

+ Created on:  10:01:08 PM, 4/13/2005
+ Report-Checksum:  12E32C34

+ Date of database:  4/14/2005
+ Version of scan engine: v3.0

+ Duration:    28 min
+ Scanned Files:  87278
+ Speed:    51.12 Files/Second
+ Infected files:  3
+ Removed files:  0  [note: I chose to ignore the problem, so the error is displayed in the "status" of action(s) done.]
+ Files put in quarantine:  0
+ Files that could not be opened: 0
+ Files that could not be cleaned: 3
+ Scanned items:
= C:\ E:\ H:\

+ Scan result:
= C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Free Edition\Infected\bummerz.zip/sysmonnt.exe -> Backdoor.VB.aat
= C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Free Edition\Infected\bummerz.zip/ceres.dll -> Spyware.BetterInternet
= C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender Free Edition\Infected\bummerz.zip/dolsp.dll -> TrojanDownloader.Agent.br

I had it show the stats. All in all, I'm pleased. I think I'll keep it in action.

As an added bonus, you get a nice startup list, a connections detail if you're connected online via your ISP, and
this accurate and nice looking process list, which indicates visually what is system related and what I have added
myself in the way of software.

Posted Image

It will no doubt disappear in 14 days, but the extras ... I have other ways of finding the
same information, so I guess I'll probably keep my wallet in my pocket and try to remind myself by practicing
that those extras were not needed as I continue to use this fine product, free unlimited use and what appears to be
quite effective Anti-Virus Protection.

So, time will tell. Posted Image
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:23 PM

Looks like it found your bitdefender quarantined files. Suprises bitdefender quarantines the files that way though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users