Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Debian Lenny About To Freeze

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 machiner

machiner

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:04 PM

The Debian GNU/Linux distribution (next release name - Lenny) will be freezing this weekend. This means that the distro is nearing release and the freeze will "freeze" the software collection that comprises Debian. Then the rest of the bugs will be squashed, give or take some special situations, and come September, if all goes well, the world will get the official Lenny release as stable.

Debian is known for its long release cycles (we release it when it's done, is what they say) and becasue of this is a very popular distro to be used on servers and in situations where stability is preferred over the cutting edge. I give a chuckle when people complain about the release cycle. Those that demand the latest and greatest have more than a couple options to get what they want on their Debian release, but they don't like to hear that. No matter. It's cool.

I installed Lenny on a 13 year-old's box this weekend. He called it, and I quote, "astounding". His big brother and little sister demanded it, too.

In other news: the world is still sort of round, water is still wet, and the Large Hadron Collider still scares a lot of people. Oof.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Bleeding Edge...blah! I prefer the "rolling release" policy
PCLOS uses. Not really thrilled about waiting a year for an upgrade
and totally borking a production box. I'll leave the "unstable" and "test"
releases to the people who have too much time on their hands.
I know nothing about Debian Desktop, but as a server OS the clients we
have running it are pretty self reliant and don't require hand-holding.

Don't forget Deb offers a LiveCD. In case some want to "try before they buy".
http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 machiner

machiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Bleeding Edge...blah!

I know nothing about Debian Desktop...

lol

#4 machiner

machiner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

Liking Linux and knocking Debian doesn't make any sense at all. Not using Debian is cool, but....

#5 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

I've used more "Debians" than others (Knoppix, DSL, Kanotix, Linspire, balked at downloading 12 cds for Debian 3.1 though) , was getting ready to probably install Sidux when I came across PCLinux, fell in love, haven't bothered with any other to speak of since last Aug. I still keep a couple Debian based Live Cds around though (Kanotix 2005 --before the split and Sidux 2007(I think)--after, The latest DSL's are not one of them.) as I don't have any bad memorys from the Deb side really other than Linspire.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:34 PM

Apologies if it sounded like I was "knocking" Debian. Didn't mean to
imply that at all. Just saying (IMHO) I don't care for major upgrades, no matter
what distro it is. Especially when you have statically compiled software "on a production box"
and a new release comes along and makes it completely unusable.

As I said in my previous post, I will leave "bleeding edge", "unstable", and "testing" to the
people with a spare box and more free time then i have to deal with bugs. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:42 PM

I will leave "bleeding edge", "unstable", and "testing" to the people with a spare box and more free time then i have to deal with bugs. :thumbsup:

Yep, If I'm not there already I'm only one cd away :flowers:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users