Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Disc Drive ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 veggies

veggies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:59 PM

Regarding an External hard drive (recently hooked up a WD MyBook 500GB)

1. If I知 ON-LINE and in background I知 transferring files from my "C" and "E" drive to the new external "F" drive. Am I exposed to someone hacking into my system and copying some of my most critical stuff, like financial or credit card data. Or is the possibility of them "hacking"" in at any time a potential problem.

2. Some of what I致e seen on the Web says that the external drive SHOULD NOT BE LEFT HOOKED UP TO YOUR COMPUTER!! It should only be used if/when you want to back-up data. I was under the assumption that it was there all the time so when you modified a file or made a new one it would back it up after SAVE or SAVE AS.

3. If I go to My Computer and EXPLORE the new "F" drive there is NO file/folder hierarchy so I can access different things. I did do an actual move of a very big My Pictures folder and can access that OK, but I see nothing else on this disc. Is it possible that I need to move the My Pictures back and do a re-install of the disc.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Veggies

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by OldTimer, 21 July 2008 - 06:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

What backup software are you using?

Louis

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

1. Not unless your machine is already compromised. Do you use a firewall? Are you behind a router?
2. Only if you are modifying a file already on the external drive. Unplugging the drive prevents data already on
there from being corrupted from a virus or other bad juju.
3. You need to create your file tree. You can make a new folder and name it "Pictures" then put some sub
folders in there to organize your photos, such as "vacation" "kids" "dogs" and so on. Back at the top level
of the drive you can make a "Music" folder and create sub folders for that.
Easy Peasy. It's your drive, you can do what ever you want.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users