Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud Fan

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hello there. I am wondering if my fan is working too hard. After the machine's been on for about an hour the fan is quite audible, going from very quiet to a much louder whirring noise. I do live in a very warm apartment, (during the day an average of 82 F) and we have only fans running here. Is there someplace on this computer that registers what the temp is and should be? I have belarc adviser but evidently thats not one of its functions.
Thanks in advance, you peaches.
Sharon
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

You can check your system temperatures with SpeedFan, which should give you an indication of whether your system is running too hot.

Also, I would recommend that you open your computer case and make sure all the fans are spinning okay and that there isn't an excessive amount of dust in there that would impede air flow. See the following Bleeping Computer tutorial for guidance on cleaning inside your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 12:53 PM

My computer is in a hot room. So in the summer I leave the side of the case off. It helps.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

Not all computers have variable speed-controlled fans. It just might be that the fan's bearing is starting to fail and making noise after being on for a while
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

The BIOS reflects the CPU temperature.

IMO, anything 50 degrees Celsius or less is nothing to worry about. You need to remember that computers use Celsius, not the Fahrenheit scale, when noting temperatures.

Louis

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 24 July 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi Sharon

If leaving the side off works for you, fine. But be aware that manufacturers design the airflow to enter the case at key locations and hot air be sucked out at another key point, so having the side off will interfere with this.
Heat is the quickest killer of any electronic equipment, so if you suspect a fan problem (bearing noise particularly), it should be replaced immediately.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 24 July 2008 - 07:50 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:31 PM

Great advice, thanks all...I'm going to start by cleaning it out, we live in a dusty place. (Hey, its not my fault!!) :thumbsup:
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users