Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro - Drive Wipe Question - Dell

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 zcrane

zcrane

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Hey guys -

I have a somewhat older Dell laptop that I am considering selling. I have a question about cleaning the drive though. I have a KillDisk License and would like to use it to erase all the data from the laptop's hard drive prior to selling. However, I am wondering if this will erase the Dell Diagnostic tool that you can boot to in order to test your hardware. I assume it will, because I doubt it is loaded onto a separate chip - probably just written to the drive.

If it does erase it, is this utility something that I can reinstall, or would it be gone forever?

Obviously, after running KillDisk, I will be reinstalling my operating system - Windows XP Professional.

Anything else I should consider before wiping the drive with KillDisk? How about general things to do when formatting a drive?

I have wiped several desktop hard drives, but this will be my first notebook. I was a little worried about getting all the drivers loaded back on, so I purchased DriverGenius, which allows you to back up all your drivers.

Thanks so much guys!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Presumably the Dell Diagnostics are included on a separate partition on the hard drive. I understand that KillDisk has the ability to delete individual partitions. So, you could delete all the partitions except the diagnostic one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 zcrane

zcrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:47 PM

Budapest -

I don't believe this is the case, as I can only see one partition in My Computer. Is there a different way to view partitions?

Thanks

#4 zcrane

zcrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

I just found this:

"Diagnostics Partition

* This partition uses about 40-60mb and is designed to run a series of tests to determine if something is wrong with your laptop. This will not detect all errors, but Dell does recommend running this software before you call them.

* To run this software, Reboot and hit the F12 key. This will bring you to the 1-time boot menu, and you can select the Dell Diagnostics.

* You can download this from Dell's website, and it is also located on the disks that is sent with Dell. You can use this from a disk, so it does not have to be on your hard drive."

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread...8032#partitions

It is from 2 years ago... do you think the info is still current?

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:54 PM

Log on as administrator or as a member of the Administrators group. Click Start > Run > type compmgmt.msc and then click OK. In the console tree, click Disk Management. You should then be able to see any hidden partitions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 zcrane

zcrane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

Yep! There is a hidden partition there...

So, I should be able to just erase my System partition with KillDisk then? Sounds good!

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:03 PM

I've never used KillDisk, but I believe it has this option.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users