Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drive Won't Burn Dvds.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 compunerd

compunerd

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi All.

I'm trying to burn some DVDs. I have several software apps for burning DVDs but none of them work.
I have a Sony DVD drive that I Bought 6 months ago so there should be nothing wrong with the drive itself. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:35 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 compunerd

compunerd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:58 AM

Some things you can try:

• If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits.
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

Hey Budapest,

Thanx for your help! I only needed to do steps 2 & 3 and now it works. It was showing up on Device Mgr as "CD rom drive". Now, It says "Sony DVD R DRU-840 SS01" like it should. Thanx again! I gotten so much help out of this forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users