Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INSTALLING PROGRAMS W/O INSTALLERS?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Catmandoo

Catmandoo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:13 PM

:thumbsup: HELLO! And WELCOME!
Hope this doesn't take a bottle of aspirins to figure out. "ClamAV" is (I think) an open-source AV that is downloadable from SourceForge.net. If anyone knows whether this is even usable on WIN98SE with 64mbRAM, it would be helpful. And IF there's an installer for it (I couldn't find one). When I unzipped the file, then clicked on "ClamAV.exe" file, a box came up: "MFC30D.DLL" missing. Well, the dll is downloadable too, but it also comes without an installer, and I never installed anything without one before. And what's the difference between "unix" and "unicode" and which one is used on WIN98 anyway? Once I tried a trial version of NortonAV (don't laugh too hard, a four-hour download on my 28kps phone connection) as the 'crowning download' on the system. That was after 16-hrs of MS updates, favorite software, players, etc. and the whole system went NUTS. Nothing would work. Or uninstall. The computer language didn't match. Had to start all over.
This "open source" stuff might be over my head. But the "ClamAV" detects about 12 variants of the "Flux" trojan, and its detection capabilities look excellent for a load of other stuff. If there's a ClamAV forum that a relative novice such as myself could learn from, that would be great. Thanks for any ideas on this.
Also, if this thing's just too hard to use for someone who's not a software developer, maybe it's not such a great idea. The good news: it's free.
--Catman

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

Yes it is usable on a win98 computer and the exe file you downloaded is an installer. Here is their page http://www.clamwin.com/ Make sure you downloded the latest version named clamwin-0.83-setup.exe. http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/clamwin...up.exe?download

Try that one and if it still does not work, you probably need to unzip the downloaded MFC30D.DLL you got before to C:\Windows\system32 I believe. I don't think you need to register it, I am not sure though. Once you do that, the exe file should work. I don't recall why clamav removed that dll.

#3 Catmandoo

Catmandoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

HI! And THANKS! ColdinCbus
For the quick response. I'm not quite sure how to unzip the DLL to the place you suggested (or anywhere), but will give it a try and see. I have "JustZipIt" which works really well. If there's any trouble, I'll ask for further instruction. May have some Q:'s about the program, too, as have never seen it displayed. --Catman :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users