Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Task manager

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:02 AM

I think I liked my computer a lot better before I decided to learn about it. This infernal machine is so complex and there are to many ways to do what looks to me to be the same thing. I brought up my task manager and somehow I lost all the tabs at the top, the only click able button was shutting down processes. I had a little green square appear out of no ware next to my ZA icon. It was a little CPU graph (that was kool, wouldn't mind keeping it) . I had a little sign on the bottom of my screen that said task manager that I had to really fight to get it to close. I was afraid I would have to shut the computer down with it still there just to get rid of it. What did I do to lose the "tabs" on the top of the task manager?? And how did I get that little cpu thingie next to the ZA icon? Somehow I lost the Cpu thingie when I finally got the TM closed. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yaabaa

yaabaa

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:16 AM

pondering, if you open the task manager and then double click on the light brown, "Frame", area it should change back to the original view with the tabs.

The, "little cpu thingie next to the ZA icon", will always show when the task manager is open - even if it is minimised,

Andy :thumbsup:

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:21 PM

[/QUOTE]I think I liked my computer a lot better before I decided to learn about it.[QUOTE]

I can relate to that :flowers: and I've been using the taskmgr lately (learned of here) and have ZA...so,

taskmgr can be opened at least two ways I'm aware of.
  • ctrl+shift+esc keys pressed together or
  • right-click an open space on the task bar and choose task mgr from the popup dialog box list
with the Windows Task Manager open, 5 tabs appear with only the one open showing an orange color bar above it, and only one can be open at a time.
  • Applications
  • Processes
  • Performance
  • Networking
  • Users
Above these tabs are 5 additional "clickable" words:
  • File
  • Options
  • View
  • Shutdown
  • Help
Trying to understand how you lost the tabs, I've experimented some with these 10 variables...and rather than explain all the results, in the interest ofsimplicity, let me continue...

As I type, the only item in "applications" tab is: BleepingComputer.com -> Quoting a Post in T... (the task) and Running (the status)

right-click the "processes" tab, and I see 21 processes listed below 4 catagory names.
  • Image Name
  • User Name
  • CPU
  • Mem Usage
and these, too, are "clickable", and will change the nature of how the processes are listed

"performance" brings up the graphs, "networking" shows more graphs, and in my case, "users" shows only my username

Back to the case of the disappearing tabs you've lamented about...

Below the window in 3 of those tabs are some buttons, one of which you descibed as "shutting down process".

In the processes tab, next to "show processes from all users" checkbox is the "End Process" button. You can end any process that are highlighted by pressing that button. I have been unable in any way to get more than one process at a time to be highlighted, so I think you couldn't have lost all processes that way.

In the applications tab, those buttons are:
  • End Task
  • Switch To
  • New Task
and in the users tab, they are:
  • Disconnect
  • Log Off
When you[/B]minimize[B] the taskmgr, rather than close it, the cool little CPU usage active icon will appear on your taskbar...right next to your ZA icon (the ZA also is active, showing traffic in on one side & out on the other)

richt-click the CPU usage "icon" and a popup box gives you 2 choices:
  • close
  • always on top (which I leave checked since I'd like to think I'm on top of at least a small fraction of what win xp pro can do)
When you close the taskmgr it will be in the same configuration that you left it in when it reopens that is, in the same position on your desktop as when you last placed it, in the same tab you had open, etc. (without re-booting, I'm not sure this holds true through a re-boot)

Bottom line is, maybe some of this will help you to know what to expect as "normal", from another user's point of view.

It really is a very cool feature, and I hope you can restore it's function and gain confidence using it. Don't give up the fight...keep visiting this site and read the tutorials, etc.
Even though it may seem like "egad, I've had enuf ****it!" :trumpet:

Additionally, I tried yaabaa's advice to click on the light brown frame area (what I called orange) and put myself into your shoes...only in my case, the tab I happened to be in was the user tab. So, I've lost all that I descibed to you above in favor of a single window, maximized, with the available button options;
  • Disconnect
  • Log Off
I've also re-booted, and found that the taskmgr WILL retain the last config set through re-boot.

I'll post this edit, and return to what is now our mutual problem (unless, of course, you have the answer by now...in whu=ich case I'd like to know :thumbsup: )

Edited by phawgg, 29 July 2004 - 03:56 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:51 PM

Wow ! Thanks a lot guys. I'll print this out and see if I can understand things better. I'm giving the gray cells a rest today, as I pushed them to the limit yesterday. :trumpet: I can't go there today, because if I make another mess of things like I did yesterday, I'm not sure who would crash first, me or the computer. :inlove: As far as the TM, maybe I should wait till you figure it out phawgg :flowers: , as you obviously know a lot more than I do. I'm sorry I got you into a mess also, as that was not my intention. I'm confident you'll figure it out. :thumbsup: . Post here when you do and when I'm feeling brave, I"ll try again .....maybe....Thanks again

#5 pondering

pondering
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 07:07 PM

I got this link from google, I think it works for XP also. I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get my courage up and prayers said. :flowers:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;193050
EDIT...Just double right click in the middle of the top of the TM. It works like a charm :trumpet: Now what can I get into to mess up? Have a great day :thumbsup:

Edited by pondering, 29 July 2004 - 07:16 PM.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:17 PM

good job :thumbsup:

it took me a little longer to place the cursor at the edge of the window, see the double-arrow and double click. LOL

and bravo to you for bravin' the MStalk to get that answer!

(at least it wasn't too far into the knowledge base so you didn't have to learn 25 other things along the way....Tiny Footprint???)

Edited by phawgg, 29 July 2004 - 08:20 PM.

#7 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:26 PM

pondering, if you open the task manager and then double click on the light brown, "Frame", area it should change back to the original view with the tabs.

The, "little cpu thingie next to the ZA icon", will always show when the task manager is open - even if it is minimised,

Andy :flowers:

Just thought I would put this here It was the second post. :thumbsup:

#8 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:34 PM

and I better clear up that the light brown frame is the whole window when the maximum tab is engaged, not the orange color bar above the tab you are in, when in normal view.

double-clickin' that will always put you where we were.

#9 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 July 2004 - 08:51 PM

I see one thing he forgot to say was everyones font's and colors are different! Mine Is Crystal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users