Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wasting Food

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

So, I'm not usually into this kind of stuff, but this topic really bothers me.

My friend worked at Dunk Donuts for about a year and a half. They would get their doughnuts in the morning, then get more in the afternoon. Once the afternoon ones came in, the morning ones were labeled and no longer sold. The part that bother's me is that, at the end of the day, they would throw all the morning and all the afternoon doughnuts out. They would usually have hundreds of leftover doughnuts. When my friend would work the night shift, he would take dozens and dozens of doughnuts home, even though if he got caught he would get into a lot of trouble.

So why just throw these doughnuts out? Couldn't they donate these to less-fortunate people? I know these aren't the healthiest things to eat, but if you have people starving to death should it matter? If you think about all the dunkin donuts in just the United States, there must be easily tens of thousands of donuts, bagels, and other baked good wasted every day.

Anyway there are many other types of food that are wasted elsewhere I'm sure. I remember going to Taco Bell with my family when I was younger and ordering a grande meal which is ten tacos. They messed up our order and we returned the ten tacos. They ended up throwing out all ten tacos. I know there's all these health issues, but we only opened up a couple to check, and figured the rest were probably that way also. I'm not saying we should of received those tacos for free, but they could of given them out to the less-fortunate.

I think we take things such as food for granted. Is this part of companies greed because they don't believe it's fair to to their customers who pay for this stuff? What are everyone elses thoughts about this?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:09 AM

With more and more families and neighbors in distress over food, it certainly does seem that restaurants could do more to allow foodbanks and other agencies to distribute perfectly edible food that gets tossed for no other reason that it isn't perfectly fresh. We need to rethink entirely our tendency to think of everything is disposable and easily replaceable, from paper towels to plastic bags to coffee makers.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:43 AM

So why just throw these doughnuts out? Couldn't they donate these to less-fortunate people?

Call the local police department. Say "FREE DOUGHNUTS" and give them the address to pick them up. :flowers:
Sorry to any law enforcement personnel, couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 21 July 2008 - 10:46 AM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:56 AM

I actually owned a small donut and catering business at one time. Being a small business owner, you only have so many resources. It took a while to find some one willing to pick anything up. After a period of time they started getting picky, want only certain ones and having them packed a certain way. It finally got to be a hassle. There are also some legality issues to think about that a small business owner doesn't want to deal with. I finally found a hog farmer to take the surplus

Edited by garmanma, 21 July 2008 - 10:57 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:50 AM

My wife, works in a large Hospital,and although she is a Manager of a department,they are not allowed to bring any food home, that is not used on the day.All canteen leftovers,Hot Roasts,you name it.Same goes for everything not used on the Day,in the Kitchen.Even sealed buscuits and Cake are thrown out,once it comes back from the Wards unopened.They lock the dumpster bin so the homeless cant get something out of the bin to eat.It would feed many of them..One staff member has Ducks, and they will not let her take the unused bread home, to feed her Ducks,Pathetic,IMO.

Edited by DSTM, 22 July 2008 - 06:57 AM.

#6 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Can everyone spell L-i-t-i-g-a-t-i-o-n? Just one person claiming a stomach ache from some of this left over food and a small business could be wiped out. A larger business could be out millions of dollars.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#7 Sharonsthere

Sharonsthere

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:04 AM

I finally found a hog farmer to take the surplus

OMG what's better than donut bacon???

As far as litigation goes, our local mission signs off on that sort of thing so that they can use day old breads and donuts. It just takes a bit of ingenuity. But I do get it about a small business not wanting to do the footwork to find out how to do this...like they don't have enough to do already.
intelligence has far fewer practical applications than I thought.

#8 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:49 PM

It's also been in the 'press' here in the UK about people buying too much food and then wasting it.
I don't think this is just down to people buying too much for the sake of it.
Looking at food packaging here.... everything seems to be packaged for a huge family.
If there's just 2 of you.... you can't seem to buy smaller things from the supermarket..... they just want you to buy the huge quantities.
Plus, talking the other day.... we commented on food not lasting as long as it did a few years ago.
We used to buy a huge sack of potatoes and it would last the family for a month..... now, buy a bag from a supermarket and they start to go off in a few days.

BBPP6nz.png

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:50 PM

Interesting subject, and something I have constant trouble with. I have a big problem with food wasting to the point where I do not like to even buy food, because it gets wasted. I am in a quandary about what to do. Seems cheaper and easier to eat out most of the time, but it isn't cheaper. I end up short on funds and that's not good. lol

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users