Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy Audio & Missing Channel

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beyond_me

beyond_me

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:16 AM

Hi audio people!

I'm attempting some housekeeping and problem solving at the moment here
but it might be best to seperate my 2 sound issues and post in this forum.

It's a bit confusing so pls bear with me ....

L/R channels
My speakers play both channels fine but using the headphone socket gave me just the right channel. It wasn't a huge issue so I just ignored it - I thought it might be the socket: the end of the hphone jack not touching a plate or something (BTW this is a HP Pavilion notebook & with not much room to lever something back into position I wasn't going to try it)

around the time I posted about my fujacks virus I tried to play an old game (IL2)and I got both channels - weeeeeee :thumbsup: just for a short while :trumpet:
2-3 days after that, I got full stereo again (on a different game) but again it was short lived (less than 2mins) I'm back to just 1 ear on the headphones again whatever I listen to. The headphones ARE fine and given that I did get both channels however briefly - it's not the socket is it?

any thoughts?

Choppy...sometimes
Recently DVDs & CDs got choppy (can't pin it down to any action (e.g. install, Windows auto update virus warning) as I rarely watch films on the HP (and I don't play audio 'coz of the missing channel) Gameplay sounds absolutely fine - if I forget that I've only got 1 channel :flowers:
Same with Ableton which also bleeps away smoothly in 1 ear.

While watching/listening I also notice the HDD indicator lamp flashing away 'in sync' with the dropout (if that's what it is). This happes in all media players itunes WMP & Intervideo WINDVD). I thought "CPU or memory?" so had a bit of a clean-up, freed some space on my system partition (7G) and moved my itunes folder onto a USB HDD. During today's fiddling about I thought I'd try some music from the USB drive & it sounded clean*!

OH..... I am writing AS I diagnose & I'm starting to think it could simply be the DVD ROM (dirty lens? I'll clean it, eh? but why is audio & not picture affected?)

*still leaves the missing channel mystery 'tho!!

thanks for reading and ideas much apreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

What kind of speaker system do you have, just a two channel stereo?

Is there any way to reverse the left and right channel speakers to determine if the speaker is the problem?

If not, can you test your speakers on another computer to rule out the speaker being the problem?

Edited by dc3, 21 July 2008 - 11:31 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 beyond_me

beyond_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

I should have added that I'm referring to built-in speakers and by ear & by touch the L & R side of the case are vibrating away .....

BUT get this!!!!

Immediately after logging out of the forum I thought "just 1 more try...." STEREO!!!! I had done nothing. 20hrs later (it's morning here now) STEREO!!! for the first time in months all by itself

Gahhhhhh!!!!!! I'm trying as I type....... CD's play choppy stereo DVD's don't play at all!! They don't spin, a few little beeps & that's it except I can now hear a soft STEREO click in headphones (like a power switch sound) .....more work to do today FFS!!

#4 beyond_me

beyond_me
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2008 - 12:59 AM

As Marvin Gaye said "what's goin' on" :thumbsup:

Me again - restarted notebook & DVD's played - in stereo (v. slightly louder in the right channel) for about 2mins than the left channel faded out gradually to nothing. Played another disc. Got stereo for 5mins plus than instant loss of left channel.

I shouldn't moan .....the choppiness is gone when playing

(I increased my pagefile size from 1500k to 2500k just 'coz there seemed to be 'headroom' available....have no idea what that might have done other than give me 'virtual RAM')

weird machine!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users