Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dr Watson Post Mortem Debugger: Is This A Virus?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smiley197108

smiley197108

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have Windows Xp. My internet explorer has been continually shutting down and mentions "Dr. Watson etc; I would like to know if this is a virus or spyware. Would you be able to help me remove it? I have "DSL" med-high speed modem. I have had to uninstall my entire system in the past because of a virus. In the process, I accidentally deleted my "Device Manager" I don't have a software disc from Dell to re-install. It also pops up that I am missing an "service pack" which part I couldn't tell you?
Also, because of the small memory capacity on my Dell that is 5 years old by the way. My internet service provider: Comcast, included Mcafee security suite that included spyware and virus protection. I couldn't download it because I don't have enough memory. That is why my computer is infected. Yes, I agree it is my own fault I left my computer susceptible to all viruses. I am planning on buying a new memory card. However, I don't know anyone who will be able to install it. It is impossible financially, to afford to bring my computer to a professional computer expert to get it fixed and the present time . I would be greatful to have someone to take the time to help me out. Thank you in Advance.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:37 AM

Dr. Watson is a Windows program for debugging errors and recording information about those errors.

The missing task manager could be due to a virus.

To see what service pack you have go to Start> right click on My Computer> Properties. The service pack installed will be listed under System:.

We can help you with installing the RAM, we will even be willing to help you find what RAM you need for you computer. But first, how large is you hard drive, and how much free space do you have on it? You can find this out by going to MY Computer and placing you pointer over the C: drive, the free space and total size will show. Your hard drive needs to have at least 15% free space for it to operate properly. You may have to remove some of your files if the hdd is too full in order to run scans, you can transfer files to removable media like CDs, DVDs, a flash drive, or another hdd connected as a slave.

There are online scans that others in the Am I Infected forum will be able to suggest that you run.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users