Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Boot From Different Partition On 1 Hdd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hockeyrick

hockeyrick

Software Thief

• Deactivated
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

I have an Acer laptop (has 1 HDD but with 2 partition-C/D), came with Vista, but was having many problems with it, so I installed XP on partition D, Vista is of course on C.
Well it worked wonderfully!. But I had this nagging to re-install Vista to see if it might work better as I love some of its features.

Well, still have those issues, but now I cannot get back to XP on D, only does C

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to do this? On the Boot Bios, it just reads the 1 HDD, no partitions, and always boots from C

I am not that well-versed in all the computer stuff so please take it easy on me!!!
you can also PM me if that would be better!

Thx for any help

Also, with Vista, when I go to automatically connect the the net, it pics up my wireless connection, connects, but nothing comes on.
I get a warning box that says "Cannot connect to the Primary DNS,"then it gives me an address.
How can I remedy this problem????

Thx one and all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:00 AM

It sounds like you may have deleted the second partition when you reinstalled Vista. Go to My Computer and and see how many drives are showing up under Hard Disk Drives. If there is only the C:, then this is what has happened.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hockeyrick

hockeyrick

Software Thief

• Topic Starter

• Deactivated
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:46 PM

no, both are visible,
is there some way to change the boot log or something with Vista?
why does the boot automatically go to partition c? why not a choice of c/d?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:58 PM

The choice should be there when the computer boots, watch it and see. Usually it will stop for about fifteen seconds to make the choice of which system to boot from, and a choice isn't made it will boot from the C: (default) drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users