Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen - Never Seen It Before

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 d-f

d-f

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

When I now try and boot up my computer thats running Windows Xp , this blue screen is shown and I cannot do any thing else,
can you please tell me what I have to do next , to get back to normal - I hope some one can help me as I am still new to computers ... Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 practor

practor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 02:00 AM

Turn your pc on press DELETE to get BIOS. Change your boot order for CD ROM to boot first. Press F10 to save. Put XP cd in and when it asks boot from cd do so. After checking your system you will have 3 options. Do number 2 "Repair" and wait for it to load. You maybe asked for password just hit enter if you dont have one. Then select which windows you want to use thats normally 1. C:Windows press 1

at C:\Windows type

chkdsk /p and press enter let it run and then reboot you should be fixed. If so, at desktop goto My Computer>rightclick and open manage then event viewer> applications. On the right hand side look for WinLog under the Source tab and double click on it. Scroll down and if you see any bad sectors back up your HDD and replace it. You can ghost over your old HD to a new one but thats another story.

Hope this helped

It also could be a bad video card.

Edited by practor, 21 July 2008 - 02:03 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:15 AM

Rather than type chkdsk /p (which is read-only and won't fix anything), type chkdsk /r.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

Most often STOP 0x8e errors are driver or malware related. Since the ATI drivers were cited in one of the error messages, I'd suggest uninstalling your ATI graphics drivers and controls (both from Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel - and from the Device Manager.

Then download the latest version of the ATI drivers available from http://www.ati.com/ and install them.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 practor

practor

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 03:50 AM

Rather than type chkdsk /p (which is read-only and won't fix anything), type chkdsk /r.

Louis

chkdsk /p does fix a boot volume error. I have done it many a time hamluis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:01 AM

From this link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx
(the bold is my addition)

chkdsk [drive:] [/p] [/r]

Parameters

none

Used without parameters, chkdsk displays the status of the disk in the current drive.

drive :

Specifies the drive that you want chkdsk to check.

/p

Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

/r

Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. Implies /p.

Note * The chkdsk command requires the file Autochk.exe. If it cannot find it in the startup directory (\%systemroot%\System32, by default), it will attempt to locate it on the Windows Installation CD. If you have a multiboot computer, be sure you are issuing this command from the drive containing Windows.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users