Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugging In Usb Drive Crashes My Computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

What might the cause be when a small Toshiba external USB drive when plugged into a XP computer crashes the computer?
When we first plugged it in, the standard MS driver got installed, the message is

#I121 Device install of "USB\VID_0930&PID_A000\0010101640000514W" finished successfully.

the USB icon appears in the system tray, the mouse works but nothing else does. Not Explorer, not task manager, not the Start menu. NOTHING.
The only way to regain control is to unplug the computer.

We tried three times with the same tragic result.

This was my guest's drive. I have an identical drive, same class ID, same driver, and no problems ever.
She's using her drive on a Mac computer and it holds data just fine, but does require a powered hub, which I also tried here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:01 AM

You will need software to read the Mac files on a Window system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

Aha! Aha! I din't think of it. Thanks.

I'd think that Windows in its infinite wisdom would say something like 'hey, there's no way I can display the directories in Explorer with a disk that's odd'. Would you think it crashed Windows because it just sat there trying or what?

BTW we had no intention of working that drive on XP, just needed to recheck something of a hardware nature, like bad cords.

#4 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:50 PM

I'd think that Windows in its infinite wisdom would say something like 'hey, there's no way I can display the directories in Explorer with a disk that's odd'. Would you think it crashed Windows because it just sat there trying or what?

Windows is not friendly with other filesystems. And since the wonderful and talented programmers
from Redmond never dreamed anyone would have a need to use anything NON-Microsoft they just
left that part out. Sure Windows is sitting there eating up CPU and RAM trying to figure out what it is
and what you want it to do, but in the end it just gives up and crashes. :thumbsup:
I'm truly surprised it didn't report that the drive was not formatted and offer to format it for you.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 09:57 PM

[I'm truly surprised it didn't report that the drive was not formatted and offer to format it for you.

About the only worse result I can imagine, then, is Redmond going ahead and formatting a drive, that isn't even mine, without asking :thumbsup:

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users