Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Hd No Drive Letter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 topspin

topspin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 10:25 PM

I have a wd1200u017-002 usb drive. It suddenly stopped working properly. If I plug it in to any pc, I see the usb drive being detected and it shows up in the usb safe remove section and also in device manager but there is no drive letter to be found either in explorer or in administrative tools computer management.

I read of a similar issue on another board. That other person was able to backup their data using the getdataback software. I tried it but I get a 'read error' over and over. At least it was able to see the drive though.

I also tried testdisk 6.10 and same problem. It recognizes the drive as well but it also gives a read error when trying to access the drive.

I can't seem to be able to open the unit in order to try installing it inside a pc. It is a small laptop drive.

What should I do?

Edited by topspin, 20 July 2008 - 10:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:52 AM

If it were me...I'd open that case, since that seems to be the only hope (currently) of accessing whatever data is on the drive. And, even if removed or accessible...the major problem seems to be that the data is unreadable by the apps you've tried.

The programs that you mentioned...I have no familiarity with them and cannot judge their efficiency/credibility. My experience is that not all recovery programs are the same...some are goood, others have limitations which limit their ability to recover data successfully.

Have you tried using a Linux application to read data on the drive?

http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/11/...sing-linux.aspx

My experience is that...no free data recovery program helped me with my situation. Trying to come off cheap when you cannot read a hard drive...just doesn't make sense to me. If I wanted to be cheap, I'd just do a clean install and reformat the hard drive...and hope for the best.

OTOH, I don't think you have to spend a fortune to have a reliable, useful program for data recovery.

I use Quetek's File Scavenger (actually, I've used it twice), but I won't make a personal recommendation for it because I know the process of data recovery is always very iffy.

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:14 AM

I can't seem to be able to open the unit in order to try installing it inside a pc. It is a small laptop drive.

What's the make of the enclosure? They're pretty straight-forward, After you remove any screws, you might have to gently pry the cover off
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 topspin

topspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:00 PM

I opened the case. It was pretty straight forward. The drive is sata and has a small board attached where it interfaces with the usb connector. I'm not sure I can dismount that small board in order to connect it directly inside a pc.

I am thinking of trying knoppix.

I don't want to format the drive but I would not be able to even if I wanted to.

I might try putting the drive in the freezer for one hour.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:25 PM

The drive is sata and has a small board attached where it interfaces with the usb connector

If you look closely at the sides, inside the case, there should be grooves, a channel, or guide pins the the hard drive kind of sits in and slides into the enclosure. It should slide and plug into a connector on the circuit board. Just like it would if you were putting it into a laptop. The connector holds it firmly in place
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 topspin

topspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2008 - 05:44 PM

yeah i saw that and got the drive totally free now. i will try it in a system later on and report back

#7 topspin

topspin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:51 PM

I connected it directly inside a pc onto the sata with sata power connector and it does not get detected properly in the bios. The drive does vibrate a bit but it just gets detected as another dvd drive (same as the one i got in the system). Also, the regular main hd in the system fails to boot in safe mode if the problematic usb drive is connected in the system. I guess I will try freezing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users