Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Accessing Program Files

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Aedhan

Aedhan

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:11 PM

I was directed here after cleaning up malware in another forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry887916

We got it cleaned up, but my main, noticeable problem is one of our accounts does not have access to the program files, in the hard drive. Actually two accounts, in safe mode, the default administrator account cannot open it either.

Two of our three accounts show up in the security tab, in safe mode, and the other doesn't. If the all administrator accounts option shows that everyone can access it, but if I try to change anything, it locks up.

We have been thinking about reformatting our drive for awhile, but the computer wont boot the setup from a windows XP disk. I already know that Dell disks are not bootable, but I was sure the actual XP ones were. My sister used it when she ditched vista on her computer.

Computer: Dell Dimension 8300
Windows XP SP 2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 09:29 PM

Press "WindowsKey+R" to open Run dialog box. Type this: "control userpasswords2" and press Enter. This opens up a simple "User Accounts" management dialog.

You should now first add a new administrator account and then remove the old ones. This is done by clickin "Add" and then filling up information, then select "Other" and choosing "Administrators".

Hope this works for you. :thumbsup:

#3 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

I tried this, but I cannot delete the default administrator account, and making a new account did not give it access to c:\program files It is even in administrators group

#4 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 02:12 PM

Anyone else have any suggestions? I have completely confirmed all malware is off (I love spyware doctor)

I would just like to add a new user, but no matter what they receive the access denied error.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

You could always try a repair install of XP, Windows XP Professional Repair install from CD - http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/i...dexfullpage.htm

It may cure your malware impacts.

Louis

#6 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:03 PM

It wont boot from a CD, even when I change priorities and everything. I know dell disks aren't but we had an XP disc, from wiping vista off another computer.

#7 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:07 AM

Ok, I don't want to take up space, so I am asking a new question here.

I cannot get my computer to boot from a CD, to perform a repair install, or completely reinstall windows.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

To do a clean install...I believe it's wise to delete any existing partitions by using the XP CD. Notice that I did not say to reformat any existing partition.

If you are saying that you cannot change your BIOS boot options...to effect a boot from optical drive...then I would have to guess that you have a BIOS problem.

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

Louis

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 11:47 AM

The Dell Operating System disk that contains Windows XP is bootable as it comes from the factory. If you're using a copy, it may not work depending upon how the copy was made.

To select a device to boot from (such as the CD/DVD drive), press F12 as the Dell logo screen shows up. This should get you a menu where you can select the device to boot from. If you're not able to access the menu from F12, then it's likely that you have some issues within your BIOS. If you can get to the boot menu, but still can't boot from the CD/DVD drive, then it's most likely that either the CD/DVD isn't bootable, or there's a problem with the drive itself. You can test this by using a disk that you know is bootable (by trying it on another system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Tried it on another computer already, and it boots fine.

I know this CD drive works, I use it all the time. I just want to be able to reformat the drive. If we disable all other booting options, it just says "insert bootable disk"

If we change the order, it just skips the CD and goes to the hard drive.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:50 PM

Have you tried sitting down in front of your computer, getting to your desktop, putting the cd in and with luck it will auto-start.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

FWIW: For whatever reasons, there are situations that I've experienced where I have to change all 3 primary boot options to the optical drive...before the optical drive will run as the primary boot option.

Louis

#13 Aedhan

Aedhan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:18 PM

Yeah I have, the thing does auto boot, but I cannot run a repair install because I am running SP3, and the disk is SP2 I believe.

Edited by Aedhan, 28 July 2008 - 12:24 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

<<...I cannot run a repair install because I am running SP3, and the disk is SP2 I believe.>>

Well...have you tried it?

I just did one, earlier this morning. Had a number of issues develop which I incorrectly read as something other than memory problems (spent all day yesterday trying to deal with those). After I finally realized that it was a memory problem (and a CMOS battery situation), I was able to do a repair install of my (previously) SP3 system, using a SP2 CD.

It worked...repair was made...reinstalled SP3 from WinUpdate less than an hour ago.

I also had IE 7 installed previously, which reverted back to IE 6...with no visible problems.

The one anomaly of the repair seems to have been the creation of a new user, with some of my desktop, favorites, etc. missing. But I looked in Docs & Settings and found all of them neatly bundled under the former identity I had assumed when installing XP previously. This probably was caused by failed efforts yesterday to properly diagnose what was wrong :thumbsup:.

If you do decide to try it, I encourage you to have backed up any files which you consider essential.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users