Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It Safe To Delete This Text Document

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:07 PM

Please excuse my ignorance in advance. I have been totally left behind by the speed of the technology.

I defragged my hard drive and the report stated that this file would not defrag. McAfee\MBK\Exceptions.txt. I have found out that the MBK is a McAfee Backup folder, but the text file is huge (6,012,106KB). It is so large that I was even afraid that I didn't have an application to open a file that large. I know that this is a text file, but am unsure of why it won't defrag. or if I can safely delete it. I do know that I want it gone if possible. Any help or info that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

This is the msg. that I got when I checked on this file - Displays the path and name of the most fragmented files on the volume and the number of fragments, those files are in. If you use these files frequently, there might be a large impact on your system performance.

Many Thanks
ozhawk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hello ozhawk,

The file in question is not that large, it is around the same size as an audio file. The probable reason for it not being defragged is that mcafee is using the file to perform operations. If you want the file gone, you will most likely have to remove mcafee and install an appropriate substitute for mcafee.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

Thanks. This is my daughter's computer and I will continue to try to clean up the unused programs etc. on her hard drive. Then see if I can get McAfee to tell me how large this file will grow before deciding if I should look elsewhere. There are 2 other users, and I am concerned about the possible size of all three together. I am signed on as the administrator (ha, ha, yes I know that's hillarious) and that file in my folder is a lot smaller.

Thanks again your help is greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

No problem, glad to help.

If you do want to get rid of mcaffee use the removal tool found at http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx...083&lc=1033

There are some good replacements found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users