Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I Be Getting A Lot Of Internet Activity While Defragmenting My Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ozhawk

ozhawk

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:37 PM

I didn't have any internet windows open and I noticed that the lights on my modem were blinking like there was outgoing or incoming data transfer. Is there any way to tell by checking somewhere on my computer. Also I had just downloaded that new microsoft malicious software patch prior to running the defrag. tool.

Many Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 06:51 PM

Hello ozhawk,

Did you have any Instant message programs, email clients open at all?

You can view incoming and outgoing connections using currports which can be found at http://www.download.com/CurrPorts/3000-2085_4-10448760.html

Also, your router may contain logs that might give more info. what is the make and model of your router and can you access the setup page?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:16 PM

I am using a DSL modem. I live in the country and my service is through our phone service. We are using the Netopia box supplied by Century-Tel.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

Defrag is a background activity...so all programs/processes which would normally run...continue to run during defrag, in my experience.

Same for chkdsk.

The reason that chkdsk shuts down when run on the boot partition...but doesn't shut down on any other partition...is the fact that the boot partition contains the system innards, while the other partitions do not (IMO). Defrag (apparently) does not impact system files in the same way that chkdsk does.

Louis

#5 ozhawk

ozhawk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:18 PM

I am sorry I missed your other question. I have Windows Live Msngr but was not signed on.

Thanks

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:22 PM

The currports utility will display all of your incoming and outgoing connections. Even when a system is idle there will be a slight ammount of traffic.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users