Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'beware' The Old 'bait And Switch'

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drpepper55

drpepper55

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hi all,
Just wanted to alert the community and relate to the community a 'beware' of the bait and switch and also of the bait and then not have the item advertised that has been going on a biit lately at your local Best Buy. It has happened to me now on more than 1 occasion here in San Antonio and I'm sure it is also going on elsewhere as well. First, it was a Targus chill pad that they advertised and pictured in their Sunday ad and then try to slip in a different one when you got to the store. What made it even worse was that all they did was try to blame the substitution on the manufacturer sending the wrong one and on and on. Nothing but making excuses and passing the buck was all I heard. Of course the manufacturer was not there to dispute Best Buy's claim and even though the manufacturer did not place the ad, that doesn't matter, they were still to blame Then, Best Buy had a laptop that they advertised and when you got to the store they said that they had already run out, but I have this one over here...yeah, we all know how that goes. For thiis and other reasons I, myself, will not be taking my business to Best Buy anymore because of this sorry practice and this sorry experience which was made even worse when I caught them in it and by how they responded to it by making excuses. passing the buck, and by blaming the manufacturer who had nothing to do with placing the ad, stocking the shelves, or handling the situation. To not fess up and to not stand up and accept the responsibility for the situation has made Best Buy look even lower in my eyes. No wonder as to why they are hurting financially these days if this is how they treat their customers and address problems that they themselves created. I just wanted to alert everyone to this practice and state that the only way we will end this and the only way we will be heard is to call them on it and avoid lettting them take us for granted.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:14 PM

FWIW -

I just had a similar experience at Circuit City. The item in the ad was misrepresented and they wouldn't honor it. Their Customer Service representative was somewhat rude. I left him and asked for the Manager, and he ultimately honored the advertised item.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:24 AM

I'm glad for you that you stood up for yourself on the matter. Too many of us don't and I'm afraid that it just allows these sales people to think they can play games with us and that this inconvenience is not of any signifigance to the customer. WRONG. I'm glad that the manager in your case honored the item for you. Not so in my case with Best Buy, he just painted himself and the store furtther into a corner and for false pride lost me as a customer and hopefully a few others who were close by and who heard his sorry handling of the matter. Only way we're going to matter and make a difference is to hurt them in the pocketbook I'm afraid, and force them into listening to the customer for a change instead of just to hear themselves talk. Best to you...

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 22 July 2008 - 03:23 PM

My mother stopped going to Best Buy as well. She just bought a really cheap (inexpensive) Toshiba laptop with X1300 graphics, not bad. So, after 2 months it stops charging and when she takes it to Best Buy they say that their professional inspection found the result of the broken solder point was user abuse. Of course, she doesn't abuse laptops. Well, the repair would cost more than the laptop so... no. When it came back from the offsite inspection, the sound system no longer worked. When she asked them, they admitted no guilt and offered to repair that for a price too. They must just be hoping we'll throw money at them or something, but I don't trust them. My mom is takin what she got and getting out of Best Buy before the whole laptop is in need of repair. Never taking business back.

EDIT: Also, on return from inspection, the screen does not always work. It may stop working randomly, or if you tilt the screen to a certain angle it will turn black.

I did however have a positive experience at... Giant or Meijers or something like that.. :thumbsup:. We went back to buy a Wii, and the man at first said they had none, and a new order would be in next week. However, when we asked him to check inventory and sure enough, he found ONE Wii which someone else had preordered but missed their pickup deadline. So wee we have a Wii.

Edited by Ryan 3000, 22 July 2008 - 03:28 PM.

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 drpepper55

drpepper55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for sharing your story Ninja Cat. You've again confirmed for me that Beest Buy's customer service is very lacking, leaves much tto be desired, and is severely lacking in honesty and fairness. I'm sorry for your mom's bad experience but it appears to be par for the course with Best Buy more and more these days and again i have to say that the only way for us to get attention and change this is to not let them get away with it and for us not to continue to give them our business. Certainly, they are not the only game in town and many others would certainly welcome and appreciate our business more than Best Buy has shown. What happened to the customer is always right, and the first rule of Business 101, make the customer feel appreciated and treat the customer with respect and take pride in how you conduct your business. I have to say it has been missing at Best Buy more and more every day. Best to you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users